Stone Henge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DITTRICH

MB Enthusiast
Car
S205 C200SE & W202 C230K
I had some people over from Finland and they wanted to see Stone Henge. I looked at the English Heritage official prices and fell off my chair. However, a google search result mentioned getting it all for FREE and I was intrigued. Turns out there is a public footpath on the other side of the northern fence with respectable views. My National Trust membership got free parking at the visitor centre car park and we all ambled over the hill. A 25 minute walk saved £130.50 . Toilets are free. The gift shop is "free". The cafe (with premium prices) is "free". So you pay £26.30 each and get a little "closer" if you think it is worth it.

So your £84 per year (Individual Member) National Trust subscription got you 'free' parking? Sounds a bargain!

So your £84 per year (Individual Member) National Trust subscription got you 'free' parking? Sounds a bargain!
Dippo? Did you mis-spell Dipstick, perhaps. Happy to help.

I had some people over from Finland and they wanted to see Stone Henge. I looked at the English Heritage official prices and fell off my chair. However, a google search result mentioned getting it all for FREE and I was intrigued. Turns out there is a public footpath on the other side of the northern fence with respectable views. My National Trust membership got free parking at the visitor centre car park and we all ambled over the hill. A 25 minute walk saved £130.50 . Toilets are free. The gift shop is "free". The cafe (with premium prices) is "free". So you pay £26.30 each and get a little "closer" if you think it is worth it.
I remember being able to play around and sit on the stones in the 1970’s. It does need protecting though.

Blimey. 🤔
I wonder if the Druids and Pagans get multiple person discount. 😉

We have joint membership of English Heritage - bought in a few years ago when we were visiting the Isle of Wight and realised it was cheaper than paying the entrance to Carisbrooke and Osborne House. But we've kept it up because of the ability to take grandkids out with the membership - we can take up to six kids each (!) at no extra charge. I find EH properties to be a bit less "stuffy" than NT ones, so better on balance for the young ones - they've loved visiting Stonehenge, Old Sarum, Dover Castle etc.

A little disingenuous as the NT membership gives you access to over 500 properties, gardens etc.

But it's not UK wide.

So the problem if visiting say England or Scotland is that you find some venues are EH or some NT and in Scotland they are also split - some HES and some NTS (that E in HES is just stupid IMO). And if visiting across the UK there are multiple memberships or multi-day passes required.

It should really be streamlined so that one membership or multi-day pass covers everything.

English Heritage membership available with Tesco club card vouchers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom