Stonechips E350 Coupe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alzieboy

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E350CDI Coupe
Have only had the E350 Coupe a few weeks cant believe the amount of bonnet stonechips i have got in such a short time, the previous couple of BMW i had , 1 & 3 series only had the odd one , the wifes 05 Golf has not got any and thats from new !! . Dont know what looks worse just leave them or try touching them in, got some some touch up paint ( iridium silver ) but that has only made the chips more visible :mad::mad:

They do attract stone chips but every car does - I guess it would also depend on driving styles, road surfaces where you travel, etc but like I say every car gets chips. I have a few on mine but used a chipex kit to tie them over until I get them properly repaired.

If it is that bad for you and bothers you that much, get venture shield film protection fitted.

Feel your pain, Alzieboy. Vito Sport two weeks old to the day and got it's first stone chip. A humdinger of a one with accompanying gouges.

That's what you call serendipity; I had a right go at the salesman when I noticed two stone chips just before I was about to pay the balance on this brand new van. Those stone chips I could have done easily; this monster will require skill or nerve.

Stone chips are more often the result of driving too close to the car in front.

This is a lesson I learnt a while back. Keeping back really does reduce them:thumb:

This is a common on modern Mercs, (up to 10 years old) they use a Ceramiclear paint which is very hard and durable, but chips very easily due to the hardness. The C on your paint code will confirm if it is Ceramiclear.
I believe they are using Glasurit paint now made by BASF, which is supposed to be even better than ceramiclear, but I don't know if it is better resistant to stone chipping?

I was guilty of driving too close to the car in front on many occasion in my last BMW and suffered the consequences of at least half a dozen stone chips, one about the size of a small island.

I've learned my lesson and now keep a good distance. Trouble is I now get billy boy racer over taking me and filling the gap.

I was guilty of driving too close to the car in front on many occasion in my last BMW and suffered the consequences of at least half a dozen stone chips, one about the size of a small island.

I've learned my lesson and now keep a good distance. Trouble is I now get billy boy racer over taking me and filling the gap.

That would be "Billy Boy Racer with the stone chipped bonnet!"

Thanks for your very helpful input,

Please don't take offence at my comment regarding driving too close to the car in front. I had it said to me once and i must admit feeling a bit offended. However, I've changed my habits and my car is a lot better for it. Still get racked off when they cut in though!

Please don't take offence at my comment regarding driving too close to the car in front. I had it said to me once and i must admit feeling a bit offended. However, I've changed my habits and my car is a lot better for it. Still get racked off when they cut in though!

Okay valid point , in fact i do rather tend to leave a large gap to the car in front which i am sure on some occasions p***** off the car driver following behind me

I need to improve on my paint touch up ability i think or call in a proffesional :crazy:

My regular route to and from work is on the dreaded, dirty, filthy A13. It is three (or two) lane dual carriageway with a 70mph limit for a good part of it.

Whilst I invariably do leave lots of space between me and the vehicle in front, I am interested to know what everyone else would do when, on a daily basis and when the traffic is free flowing and there is a lane hogger doing 55-60 in lane three with a clear road in front of them.

Do you resign yourself to adding 10-15 minutes to your journey and drive patiently in lane one, two or three, under take (using lanes two or one) or do you 'close them down' in lane three so they can see they are not the only vehicle on the road?

Honest answers please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom