Stop car to low.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr tibbs

Car
S211 E320 Estate
Morning all.
Just as I was starting to love my w211 again, I went out to it this morning and thought that the front left corner looked low, in fact very low... I got in and turned on the ignition and got a red screen saying to stop the car as it is to low. I started the engine and after several seconds the screen turned to normal mode and the car was leveling nicely. All seemed well but shortly after switching the car off down it went again. The rear of the car seems to be OK, just the front is low and predominately the left (passenger side).
Can anyone offer an opinion on the cause of this and whether I need to sell my kids to pay for the repairs :)
TIA

Keith

Valve block leaking, or joints to the front leaking. Check front air struts.
Best get sorted asap or you risk burning out the compressor.

P.S. sell the kids anyway ... ;)

I tightened up the small 10mm fittings on the top of the stuts and the car seems to have stayed up for a few hours. Was it as simple as that?
I doubt that my luck is that good.....

Keith

Nah..... So I just checked and the front left corner is down again. Unfortunately I guess this means a trip to the garage :(

Keith

So it seems that a new air strut is required, darned expensive so now I am looking for a used one. Anyone know of one for sale please?

Keith

Blimey just had alook, They have come down abit. Last pair i bought were £1,200

I'd go new if at all possible

Guys, help required. My car is in the local repair shop and the new strut supplier is asking for the OE or OEM number of my strut. Where can I find that please?

Keith

Received the strut yesterday, impressive shipping, and it's now at the local garage waiting to be fitted.
When I visited yesterday to drop off the strut I saw that the car was very low all round, looked like it had been "slammed" so I am guessing that all the air has leaked from the system through the leaking strut..... Any thoughts please?
Also does anyone know if the car will need to be "programmed" on a star system please?
TIA

Keith

The Struts all have there own check valves so unsure why it would be that low.

If your replacing the a strut or both you wont need star BUT the car has tobe supported at ride height from memory when its pumping itself up, then allowed to raise itself off the jack/support. Failure to do this correctly or without star will result in damage to the unit/units.

Thanks for all the help and advice chaps. Just got the car back and it sits nice and level and rides like it used to. I am well chuffed ;)
Thanks again.....

Keith

Well the update is that the strut has failed. I am in a battle with the chinese supplier at the moment as they want me to return the failed strut and it may take up to 15 working days for them to replace it..... This is who I bought it from and I would NOT recommend using them for anything... Ebay item number 372678662284.
The white bubbles are from leak detecting spray...

20190716_110324.jpg

Sorry to hear that. You might be better getting another one from a UK supplier and getting a refund for the Chinese one.

Sorry to hear that. You might be better getting another one from a UK supplier and getting a refund for the Chinese one.

The problem these days, now the Chinese people and Companies have more money, is they have quit Alexpress etc;
as they are now in a financial position to send consignment stock to be held with an EU and/or UK storage facility - from which they can sell via Ebay UK/EU stock.

Personally I look closely at sellers details on Ebay, and if I saw this, as is the case here:

hongkongebaystrutsf3kxx.jpg

with no disrespect to OP, would not proceed, unless at least someone had some positive experience of them, for the particular part:

Yes, agree entirely. You have to be very careful on Ebay now to know where it's coming from, or where the office is you will be dealing with if you have a problem. Amazon Marketplace is the same.

I tried to get a replacement under warranty and they have said that I have to return the faulty one and they will send out a replacement. Great stuff except I have to wait 15 working days.... I have requested a return from eBay and I am awaiting a response.
I am ordering 2 used units from a Mercedes breakers, they car they are breaking has done 100K miles which is half the miles that mine has covered so I think it is sensible to renew both sides with units that should last for several years.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom