Stop & Go Pilot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

8ig_steve

Car
GLC 250D Sport
The Distronic plus on my GLC250D follows traffic as it should and comes to a "Stop" if it needs to but when the traffic moves on it never moves off on its own and I have to pull the "resume" lever or touch the throttle.
It seems to me like the "Go" bit of the Stop & Go pilot is not working. My dealer has given their usual (easy answer) response that "it is not supposed to do that".

The manual does not state clearly what "Stop & Go" is supposed to do either.

So it is time to ask the many users of the system how is your "Stop & Go Pilot" working

My experience is that the "Go" bit of the Stop & Go Pilot is a bit erratic. Things I've learnt:

1. The more slowly the vehicle in front moves off, the more likely it is that the "Go" works
  2. If ECO mode is on and the engine stops, the "Go" hardly ever works. The engine re-starts when the vehicle ahead moves, but the brakes don't come off and I stay where I am
I think the two factors are related.

I think that what is happening is that the car will only pull away if it has, and can maintain, radar "sight" of the vehicle in front, and therefore works out that it's in stop/go traffic. In the case of a vehicle in front accelerating away smartish, I think the radar loses the car in front and defaults to the safe thing to do which is to stay put. In the case of ECO mode being on, I think that the additional delay for the engine start means that the vehicle in front gets far enough away that again the radar loses it and the system defaults to staying put.

Of course, I could be completely wrong!

Mine has never pulled away autonomously from a stop.
As mentioned if the engine is off it will re-start when the car in front moves, so it has seen the car move but that is it.

Have you tried it with ECO mode turned off?

With the C class when the car comes to a complete halt, it does not resume. The methods of resuming are detailed in the C class manual.

Blip throttle or pull the cruise stalk

Your system is working as expected I think.

I have tried it in all modes!

It would seem that it is doing what it is supposed to be doing, I now feel that it was mis sold by calling it a "Stop & Go" Pilot when it doesn't (Go)

Unfortunately I don't yet have a GLC to play with, but I think I would be unnerved if it moved off without my input. I had presumed the 'Go' bit was that once you've given it permission to move by resuming with the pedal or stick, it will then proceed up to the set max speed or else pootle along until the vehicle in front stops again. Does that sound plausible?

Possibly it's the German translation :D

Maybe it should have been called 'Go and Stop'

It works if the car doesn't come to a complete halt even if it's 0.5 mph
The only other thing I haven't tried is setting the distance to be as close as possible.
I currently have it set on the largest gap between cars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom