Stop expanding the ULEZ to all the London boroughs in 2023

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This whole thing is similar the 20mph zones. Just another method of fining motorists and generating revenue. I've been on dual carriange ways such as the one in Wimbledon leading up to the A3 ...20mph....why ???

Park Lane now both ways 20mph...northbound only one lane for cars and the rest is one almighty bike and bus lane, which most of the time is carrying next to no traffic. However the lane carrying cars is at a standstill, with cars creating more pollution than ever as they are all idling.

Khan is set on making as much mony as possible from the motorist and none of his policies have anything to do with curbing pollution....Park Lane is a clear example of of this. The pollution in this area now must be soo much worse.

His other policies such as time restricting many roads in London have netted in collossal amounts in fines because 99% of the time you will never know that the road is time restricted until you recieve the fine. Apparently Southwark council have made £6.6 million in fines in a single year from implementing low traffic neighbouhoods even though their impact has had the reverse effect of increasing air pollution due to the traffic jams they are creating on the neighbouring roads.

Apparently one camera in Dulwich Village brought in £3,892,194 in fines :eek:

Needless to say that whoever comes in after him will not reverse any of these policies as they are all revenue generating for a failing TFL, and everything else that has nothing whatsoever to do with the motorist.

Adding insult to injury, the roads are in a cronic state of disrepair.

Last edited:
As many have said its nothing to do woth air quality purely another tax on his ever growing war against the motorist. Very interesting watch:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

As many have said its nothing to do woth air quality purely another tax on his ever growing war against the motorist. Very interesting watch:

Thank you for that.

Very interesting the point about the new charging scheme that will affect everyone.

As I said it before, it's about (old-ish) diesel cars now but the goal posts will keep moving to generate revenue. Anyone with a car should pay attention (it's still free!) on how the matter develops.

The consultation with the public regarding the expansion is a public relations exercise... The decision has already been made... nothing will stop the expansion.. he desperately needs the money.. There are a few hundred old used Mercedes that would comply on Autotrader... this one was the nicest...
Auto Trader UK - New and Used Cars For Sale

From the above extract..
"the vast majority of vehicles will not be impacted by the ULEZ change ..."

Going to make a big difference then :rolleyes:

View attachment 128996
“But give us £12.50 and those children can go and f**k themselves”

Well they set out the argument 'children' and 'thousands of prenmature deaths'.

That is unarguable .... obviously.

So now I'm wondering about the air quality in the underground - and the transmission of serious diseases there.

My view is this is all exaggerated. If London is such a health hazard then remove the vehicles or disperse the people - and stop new residential construction near roads - evacuate the children.

(And I think that given all this anti-car hyperbole ... or should that be hypocrisy ... from councils in general they need to look at their own responsibiliies in not stopping planning applications for new developments within a given distance of major roads - because every one they consent to is effectively negligent IMO if they really believe what they say about vehicles).

From the above extract..
"the vast majority of vehicles will not be impacted by the ULEZ change ..."

Going to make a big difference then :rolleyes:

The other bit of hypocrisy in thius toxic mix.

So now I'm wondering about the air quality in the underground - and the transmission of serious diseases there.

Air quality down there won't be a problem, its forcibly ventilated/positively pressurised to the surface all over the place - if it wasn't we'd know about it. As for the transmission of disease - that's another matter, too many people in too small a space, just a giant petri dish!

Well they set out the argument 'children' and 'thousands of prenmature deaths'.

That is unarguable .... obviously.

My view is this is all exaggerated. If London is such a health hazard then remove the vehicles or disperse the people - and stop new residential construction near roads - evacuate the children.

(And I think that given all this anti-car hyperbole ... or should that be hypocrisy ... from councils in general they need to look at their own responsibiliies in not stopping planning applications for new developments within a given distance of major roads - because every one they consent to is effectively negligent IMO if they really believe what they say about vehicles).
I'm not sure I like the idea of a world where roads are some kind of cesspit that children and houses are kept away from because they are so hazardous.

Imagine if, in the Victorian era, the government had just said "keep everyone away from the Thames and let it continue to be an open sewer". Much better that the issue was tackled, a world-class sewer system was built, and the river went on being usable. Even though the cost was high (and continues to be, see 'supersewer' for details).

Or imagine if smoking was still allowed in indoor public places, and people told they can choose not to go in if they don't like it.

I don't see a problem with a bit of collective responsibility, even if there are costs involved, to make life just a little bit better for everyone. It's tough at the time (I'm sure there were detractors from Bazalgette's sewer on cost grounds) but in the long term it becomes hard to believe we ever lived in our own filth like the old days. I'm convinced it will be the same with ICE cars in cities.

Last edited:
Imagine if, in the Victorian era, the government had just said "keep everyone away from the Thames and let it continue to be an open sewer".

Poor analogy.

There's a difference between arbitrarily restricting and charging people vs building proper infrastructure.

There are sound arguments for trying to reign in traffic but current ULEZ schemes are a mistargeted bandwagon that rolls unimaginatively. I will mention again that in Glasgow where a more punitive ULEZ is being implemented the main issue for the worst polluted city centre streets has been buses and not cars - moreover after spending money on 'cleaning up' the buses the actual return on that has been dubious because the improved emissions systems are allegedly less effective in an urban environment.

Poor analogy.

There's a difference between arbitrarily restricting and charging people vs building proper infrastructure.

There are sound arguments for trying to reign in traffic but current ULEZ schemes are a mistargeted bandwagon that rolls unimaginatively.

Just doesn’t stand up. Building proper infrastructure requires significant long term planning and investment. But the same people opposing congestion charging will also scream like madmen at the very thought of public investment and long term design and planning. Which is why we have the current mish mash of ULEZ schemes, as well as third world crumbling road and rail networks.

Just doesn’t stand up. Building proper infrastructure requires significant long term planning and investment. But the same people opposing congestion charging will also scream like madmen at the very thought of public investment and long term design and planning. Which is why we have the current mish mash of ULEZ schemes, as well as third world crumbling road and rail networks.
I don't agree with the expansion because it's been sold to the public for something different than what it actually is. This is what gets me, especially when people are already paying a premium on everything due to inflation and other 'causes'. Just awaiting for the goal posts to move again after this one has gone ahead.

Just my opinion, I quoted your message but I didn't mean to disagree with you.

Are our rail networks crumbling?

Crossrail and HS2 are hardly cheap. In Scotland we have seen (and are seeing further) electrification. There have been new stations and new lines. Railway stock has generally been rtevamped and (IMO) he older stuff is in much better condition than the equivalent older stock of the past.

Hi , I really try to keep to speed limits.However , these 20MPH speed limits in the SW17 / SW19 are beyond belief.

It has been stated that 20 MPH works re emissions but only with road calming systems removed.That has not happened from my experience.

On Friday while driving in the areas I have been overtaken , sworn at , people standing on car horns😆 because I tried to keep to the speed limit.

The speed bumps are excessive in certain road and the under trays have been marked twice in one day , nothing serious but scratched whilst keeping to the required speed limit.

I was nearly run over by cyclist , express food delivery moped drivers jumping traffic light controlled zebra crossing.

What a future our children have to look forward to !

Hi , I really try to keep to speed limits.However , these 20MPH speed limits in the SW17 / SW19 are beyond belief.

It has been stated that 20 MPH works re emissions but only with road calming systems removed.That has not happened from my experience.

On Friday while driving in the areas I have been overtaken , sworn at , people standing on car horns😆 because I tried to keep to the speed limit.

I was nearly run over by cyclist , express food delivery moped drivers jumping traffic light controlled zebra crossing.
You haven't driven in London much have you?:D
It's par for the course. Stick to the limits and its gridlocked.
And Mr Khan wants you to pay for privilege of using the roads!
No thanks. Park up outside the ULEZ and congestion zones and use the tube.

You haven't driven in London much have you?:D
It's par for the course. Stick to the limits and its gridlocked.
And Mr Khan wants you to pay for privilege of using the roads!
No thanks. Park up outside the ULEZ and congestion zones and use the tube.
Hi AMGeed ,

Although I am a Londoner I hardly drive in our capital city. If I am on my own I always do as you suggest but if my daughter is with me I have to drive in the war zone.

As the boffins state , 20 mph zones do reduce emissions but only if traffic calming measure are removed !

PS : Bet you will miss your AMG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom