Stop/Start Button

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

David404

Car
GLE350d (W166)
Hi All

Just got GLE350 (W166 - 2016 car) which has stop/start and keyless entry which for security I'm not wild about.

I've removed the stop/start button from the ignition slot so I use the key in the conventional way.

The query - are the stop/start buttons link a key, are they unique to a specific car or would any stop/start button work?

I’m guessing it’s just a plastic part which acts as a button, so I could probably just stick mine in the slot. But u would still need your smart key or some other fancy device to start it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi All

Just got GLE350 (W166 - 2016 car) which has stop/start and keyless entry which for security I'm not wild about.

I've removed the stop/start button from the ignition slot so I use the key in the conventional way.

The query - are the stop/start buttons link a key, are they unique to a specific car or would any stop/start button work?

You can leave the button in and just double click the lock button on your key to disable keyless go. This effectively turns off the wireless part of your keys. You can then only unlock your car with the unlock button on your key. Start button will work in normal fashion after you have entered the car.

You can leave the button in and just double click the lock button on your key to disable keyless go. This effectively turns off the wireless part of your keys. You can then only unlock your car with the unlock button on your key. Start button will work in normal fashion after you have entered the car.

^This.
Any stop start button will work. They aren't coded to the car.
For additional security, get Autowatch Ghost fitted. £399 well spent IMO.

Any button will work, its 2x small pins which are pushed into the barrel when you press the button. You need to have the key within the car however for it to work.

You can see on my 'hidden mercedes features' video vol 4' - the actual pins working.

Skip to 1:44 to see it in action:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Hi All

Please be aware that even if you remove the Start Button you still need to "Double Tap" The Key Fob in order to disable it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom