stop start function not working

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mackem

Car
e class
hi just got a new e class 21 plate had it about a month at the weekend with the stop start function turned on when it stopped the car would cut out some times it would start up straight away other times it would take up tp 20 mins before it would restart also noticed that sometimes the car would not start straight away from cold any ideas thanks for the help

hi just got a new e class 21 plate had it about a month at the weekend with the stop start function turned on when it stopped the car would cut out some times it would start up straight away other times it would take up tp 20 mins before it would restart also noticed that sometimes the car would not start straight away from cold any ideas thanks for the help
Go back to MB , or call Mobilio breakdown cover to scan the car to find the fault ?

It's under warranty, as above call MB but do let us know the outcome..

The absence of punctuation makes it a bit difficult (for me, anyway) to follow but you seem to be describing two issues. It sounds as though you are noticing that the stop/start doesn't always operate. This can be quite normal as a number of conditions have to be met for it to operate. The second, which sounds definitely wrong, is that your car sometimes is reluctant to start at all from cold. As it is a new car under warranty, I would take it back to the dealer for investigation.

Never had a stop start car,so you are saying than when you have stopped on a drive around it has not started for 20 mins,that alone would have got me calling Mobilo,it needs to go back to MB .

Could be an RTFM.

Stop / Start will stop the engine when you're crawling in traffic, or at lights.

If you open the car, and then don't go to start it for a few minutes (loading kids, wives, etc), it may not "start on the button" and may need you to re-activate the car via the fob. Is this what's happening here?

Apologies if I've mis-read your comment, and you're fully aware of these features, but an awful lot of people stumble over the operation of stop start when they first get it.

And, just for completeness, Stop/Start often won't stop the engine when crawling, if it thinks the battery is too low. This is not what you're describing but it's another "peccadillo" of Stop/Start.

The absence of punctuation makes it a bit difficult (for me, anyway) to follow but you seem to be describing two issues. It sounds as though you are noticing that the stop/start doesn't always operate. This can be quite normal as a number of conditions have to be met for it to operate. The second, which sounds definitely wrong, is that your car sometimes is reluctant to start at all from cold. As it is a new car under warranty, I would take it back to the dealer for investigation.

I read the term 'won't start' in the original post as always referring to the Start/Stop function nor kicking-in when the car is stopped, but never to the engine itself (though I may be wrong). But you are right that this isn't clear.

Also, just to add to your comment, Start/Stop will only work if the battery is sufficiently charged, so on a car that only ever does short journeys, Stop/Start will rarely kick-in.

hi all sorry if my post was not clear the problem started with the stop start .But now the car can take up to 20 mins to start from cold , so its gone from stop start to this

hi all sorry if my post was not clear the problem started with the stop start .But now the car can take up to 20 mins to start from cold , so its gone from stop start to this
It’s a month old , return to MB , no other option buddy

Are you a safc fan in Warwickshire?

good leave it off save the timing chain,starter motor, battery 1st button i press is the eco button turning it off

Do you have any evidence to support the above statement, or is it just your own theory?
I think i have read about more cam chain issues with the stop start as well . Might be better for the environment but not the last owners pocket .

That doesn't really count as evidence, peoples random thoughts.
I mean proof.
If you have a diesel you won't really notice the difference in economy, whereas my guzzler it would be more noticeable.

I think the issue of stretched timing chains and failing starter motors and batteries is overhyped.

Yes, Start/Stop places additional stress on these components, but it need to be seen in perspective.

Apart for taxis, very few cars will do very high mileage in stop-start city driving.

So for a high mileage car, the majority of it's miles will be covered on main roads where there's little stop-start.

Cars that are used mostly in the city, will have low mileage anyway, so even if the wear on these components is higher than it would be on a car without Start/Stop, it would still be low in absolute terms.

And, we should keep in mind that these components have been redesigned to better cope with the Start/Stop use profile.

So on balance, I think the the additional wear will mostly be noticed on cars that are regularly driven in built-up areas for several hours a day, every day. And the majority of cars are not driven in this way.

..If you have a diesel you won't really notice the difference in economy, whereas my guzzler it would be more noticeable.

I doubt that fuel consumption with Start/Stop will be noticeably different on any engine, Diesel or petrol (unless you're regularly stuck in traffic jams and for long). Modern engines use only a very smal amount of fuel when idling anyway.

Have a 68 plate e350 all terrain. It has had a number of problems but the first was the stop/start function. Although I have similar fears as expressed above, when it was new I thought that I had better check that the stop/start worked which, unfortunately, it didn’t. It needed three trips to the dealership to correct it. They thought that they had fixed it on the first two trips but it never worked for me even during a 300 mile trip which gave it plenty of time to charge up. I think that they needed to change the auxiliary battery in the end. I am sure that they got fed up with me but they were always professional and accommodating. Worked fine in the end. Never had a starting problem with the car though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom