Stopped for my Number plate after 10yrs...oh well :)

Discussion in 'Driving/Incidents/Roadrage' started by A210AMG, Dec 4, 2008.

1. A210AMG

A210AMG MB Club Veteran

Here I am had the day off as man flu finaly has got the better of me...

Nipped out in the car for Lucazade and cold remidies. Turned into the road I live and a little Ford police connect van follows.

Didn't think much of it until I pulled into our drive and Police van parks outside.

Police man gets out (as do I will bag of man flu remidies). He asked if its my car.....do I know the plates illegal...

Hands up I know (I said it was a present...) it seems over 4 cars and 10 years I have been lucky, never been stopped and I live near a main Police headquaters and have regularly had panda and patrol cars behind me. Oh well.

Policeman was nice and told me what could happen if I don't change it. Plate goes back to DVLA and my car gets a none transferable Q plate (apparently this is worse case scenario). No fine or paperwork just an agreement I will sort.

So I'm putting legal font plates on it, no point moaning as long as its the same rule for all the others I see incorrect :) :)

This is the font / spacing (well it still is until I get some legal ones but will be soon)

[​IMG]

2. x332race

x332race Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Isn't that Union Flag illegal as well?

3. kwakdonut

kwakdonut Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Frod Mundano TDCi, Kawasaki z650
    I believe not but I have seen worse fonts than that and they get away with it for years!

The plod must have been bored

Or out of donuts

Or something
    :D

4. maddog

maddog Hardcore MB Enthusiast

you'd probably get away with the font if the spacing was correct

5. KillerHERTZ

KillerHERTZ Administrator Staff Member

Car:
    CLS63 AMG
    So the Barry Police are real after all ;) ;) :)

Off topic, thought of getting W210 bodycoloured handles for your ML would look great IMO

6. Kompressor_Dude

Kompressor_Dude Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLK350 Sport
    I know it's an old record but im gonna play it anyway.... :D

"Do they really have nothing better to do?"

It's pathetic. If anything your number plate's easier to remember/read than a full plate in standard font!

Edit: Awesome looking ML by the way :rock:

... is that your wife's reflection in the passenger door waiting for you to stop mucking around and drive her somewhere?!

7. OP
    OP
    A210AMG

A210AMG MB Club Veteran

Hello

Yes that the wife reflection waiting to get in as I take pics...

I could rant on about them having nothing better to do...whats the point its illegal and I know that.

Fact is I've got away with it this long.

Don't think he liked it when I mentioned I regularly have proper patrol cars behind me (live near a police hq) and never been stopped. As he waked back to his Ford connect van he said this is a proper police car.

:)

8. Mark300SL

Mark300SL 1962-2010. Gone, but not forgotten.

You would probably get away with the spacing if the font was correct :D

9. Rose Chap

Rose Chap Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Lexus GS450h
    For what it's worth, I think your car would look far better with plates with a normal (legal) font and spacing anyway. Customised number plates always just seem a bit 'barry' to my eyes.

Now, what's this ML35 AMG business?

10. carnut

carnut Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SL400 & audi A1
    Nice car, nice pic....bored plod!:D

11. amwebby

amwebby Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CL500
    The union flag is technically illegal in the EU, as are Scottish, Welsh and England flags. Legally only the EU stars and "GB" should be there. The government promised to push Brussels to make country flags legal but haven't pushed on this one. I guess they have other things on their mind at present...

12. flango

flango MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Mercedes SLK R171
    Just nod agree and then ignore them yes you can lose the plate but they can't asign you a Q plate, the car would go back to its original year of registration. They threatened me with this and both a barrister and DVLA said it was completely wrong. My plate has similar spacing been stopped a couple of times and had a letter from the DVLA but never changed it, just jobsworths if it can be read by ANPR then wheres the problem? They will use the public can't read it in an accident if someone takes off reality they will remember a name rather than a number, leave it alone and carry on looks real good as it is. Also feel we are getting overwhelmed with the Barry on this forum!

13. OP
    OP
    A210AMG

A210AMG MB Club Veteran

Thanks all...

I certainly don't want a EU flag its GB or nothing :)

Never had a problem in Europe with it?

I'm not one for hasle so will get the plates changed.

14. neilrr

neilrr MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Various.
    Did you explain to the cop that it spells 'CYBER'?

15. amwebby

amwebby Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CL500
    I've never had a problem in Europe with my Scottish flag alongside the EU one. You do have to have the EU flag, it is just the "GB" that my flag replaces. Guess I just haven't encountered the French/German equivalent of a jobsworth yet. Isn't having the Union flag and GB a bit redundant? Says GB, UK doesn't it?

I was stopped once in my Aston Martin, which carried an illegally spaced Northern Ireland plate at the time. I was stopped because they had misread an "I" as a "1" and so couldn't trace the registration. I pointed out to them that the letters were illegally spaced but was told not to worry.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  16. neilrr

neilrr MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Various.
    Boys, it's the law of the land. You cannot pick & choose which laws you will obey, disobeying the ones you find inconvenient.

This forum is full of people ranting about other people breaking other laws. It's pretty much rank hypocrisy to then abuse the police as jobsworths for enforcing this law. That's what we pay them for, to enforce the law.

If you don't like the laws as they apply to number plates write to your MP & the PM seeking change & see if you find a sympathetic ear for your 'creativity'.

Fiddling with fonts, spaces, German style, 'show' plates etc are all, IMHO, bull****.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGyH8Kf_0Fg

17. coupe deville

coupe deville Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    93 E320 coupe sportline facelift
    You are bang to rights, a proper crim. You should be dragged to the tower and flogged on the green to within an inch of your life,
    boiled in oil until your skin peels
    stretched on the rack until your bones are dislocated
    placed on the wheel that turns over glowing embers
    your skull crushed in the head vice
    your eyes pierced with poisoned porcupine quills
    burned at the stake
    hung, drawn and quartered

and fined £30

18. vibesg

vibesg Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLS 320 Cdi; Volvo XC90 D5; VW Polo tdi
    Oh diddly doo. I had a right giggle over that. Looks like you hit a raw nerve there. Clearly he'd rather be driving one of their more exciting cars. I'd say you scored a point there and it showed!!

19. Ted

Ted MB Club Veteran

Car:
    SLC 250D AMG Line, Yamaha XVS 1100, Jeep Renegade
    Yeah
    What Banditdave says.

Wait a minute - hangings too good for you.

20. lynall

lynall Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    The silver one.
    Wife got stopped the other day in Norfolk as they have nothing better to do:D he even agreed that the coppers in Kent probably have more serious things to do.

He said to her, do you know why i have stopped you? she replied ive got a pretty good idea.

She has also had it for at least 10 years and has been on at least 8 cars, she likes her cars

Now sporting legal plates.

Lynall