Stoppers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigrichw

Car
CLS 55
Looking to replace the front discs soon as they have some slight cracks appearing around the holes.
Question is would you opt for Brembo or Pagid setup
Both are available on ECP/CP4L and similar price (Pagid are a few quid cheaper)

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try a main dealers brakes for your car are quite cheap.

Ok will do. I imagine they are manufactured by Pagid though
£58 each on cp4l

Personally I'd always go for the best quality brakes, after all it's your life in your brakes no point skimping

Personally I'd always go for the best quality brakes, after all it's your life in your brakes no point skimping

When comparing top brands, it's not so much about safety... some type of discs/pads have different characteristics, last longer than others, are quieter, or have better warranties etc.

I always buy the best... But what I am asking is there much difference between Brembo and Pagid?

Probably more important to source either Pagid or Brembo from a reputable source/motor factor. Lots of cheap imitations of products out there using almost identical packaging.

ATE [ part of Continental Group] are also a good make.

Last edited:
markjay said:
When comparing top brands, it's not so much about safety... some type of discs/pads have different characteristics, last longer than others, are quieter, or have better warranties etc.
Safety is at the top for me!
Not bothered how long they last or if they are quieter just want to know that they will work when I want them too
Top brand or OE always
That way I'll sleep better at night knowing I'll be home the next day and my kids are safer too

Probably more important to source either Pagid or Brembo from a reputable source/motor factor. Lots of cheap imitations of products out there using almost identical packaging.

ATE [ part of Continental Group] are also a good make.

This is the best advice by far.

The markets are being flooded by brakes & parts that are lookalike. The use of the word "Genuine" now meaning anything depending where it is inserted into the packaging.

This is the best advice by far.

The markets are being flooded by brakes & parts that are lookalike. The use of the word "Genuine" now meaning anything depending where it is inserted into the packaging.

Ha ha quite right... :D

Amazon and eBay are full of ads saying 'Genuine ho-chi-minh Apple Charger' etc....... they are not lying... just misleading.

Out of the two you mention then Brembo if you can get them from ECP.

I've recently switched from the ECP Pagid pads to the similarly priced (for my car) ECP Brembo pads for no reason other than a change, and have noticed marginally less brake dust.

Surely brake dust is a good thing? Between the pad and the discs, something had to give... if not the pads, it's the discs that wear?

I don't know or care wether the dust is from the pads or discs but I'd hardly describe it as a good thing.

Regarding something having to give, some 'give' more than others though, and surely getting ones that produce less dust can only be beneficial?

With the Pagid pads, I'd clean my wheels, pootle to the shops and back and could write my name in the dust again.

It's less extreme with the Brembo, but still drives me mad.

Last edited:
With the Pagid pads, I'd clean my wheels, pootle to the shops and back and could write my name in the dust again.

Impressive.

Safety is at the top for me!
Not bothered how long they last or if they are quieter just want to know that they will work when I want them too
Top brand or OE always
That way I'll sleep better at night knowing I'll be home the next day and my kids are safer too

Unless the car that rear ends you has cheaper discs than you would buy!

I recently had my front discs and pads replaced in my E55 (same part numbers for a CLS55) and came to the following conclusion.
1. I got Mintex front discs for £97 a pair delivered from the following eBay seller. (RRP £157 22)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=301949272477&view=all&tid=1268250357020

Good communication from them when double checking the part number fitted my E55. FYI the Mintex part number is MDC 1666. No problems with these discs so far and fitment was perfect.

2 Pads. I went with Brembo front pads from ECP who were cheaper at the time than CPFL. Paid £71 for all 8 pads delivered. Again these are the same part number for a CLS55. Pads were a tight fit into the caliper and needed a little paint removing from the edges to fit with ease. The existing unbroken wear sensor fitted the new pad easily.
Braking is now much sharper after 300 miles but...........I have experienced some brake squeal which I don't like. I'm going to give the pads another month with some hard stops planned to see if the squeal remains. If not, I'll go OEM from the dealer.

So for a total of £167 I got front brake discs and pads.

That's Cheap for a pair of front discs.....

I went for Brembo front discs (OEM made by Brembo) and because they didn't have Brembo rear discs in stock went for Pagid rear discs. The quality of the finish of the discs is much better on the Brembo discs. I went for Brembo pads all around and get the very slightest squeal as the car comes to a halt. Normally a bit of copper grease on the back of the pad helps.

Jules.

That's Cheap for a pair of front discs.....

I went for Brembo front discs (OEM made by Brembo) and because they didn't have Brembo rear discs in stock went for Pagid rear discs. The quality of the finish of the discs is much better on the Brembo discs. I went for Brembo pads all around and get the very slightest squeal as the car comes to a halt. Normally a bit of copper grease on the back of the pad helps.

Jules.

Loads of that high melting point blue grease was applied to the back of the pads by Colin at MBS when fitting but that squeal when coming to a stop at times is annoying. The Mintex discs are a bargain at £97 a pair.
I almost went for Brembos discs too but at that price the Mintex were worth a try. I'd buy them again for sure.

DSCF0091_zpspa0shf5w.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom