Stopping for puddle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bozmandb9

Car
Mercedes E350 AvantGarde 2005
Driving home the other night, I had cause to test the SBC system on my Merc! Driving along an A road in the dark, came across a car stopped dead in front of a puddle.

No brake lights, no hazards. As I (just) pulled up behind him, he advanced cautiously into the puddle (probably wisely since it reached several inches up the tyres in the middle!).

Not entirely sure why he was stopped. Of course, I know perfectly well, one has to be ready to stop for any or no reason. But it occurred to me as I passed him in the town centre later, some of these older drivers who are excessively cautious, it's highly ironic, since the chances are that they'll get involved in an accident as a result of their excessive caution. It will always be somebody else's fault of course!

Sounds pretty normal to me.

Large parts of the country suffering well-publicised desperate flooding and you are surprised that someone was cautious?

In the event of a rear end collision I would put the blame firmly with the car behind.

If you're coming round a corner and there's a car stopped dead you're naturally going to think it's still moving, especially if it doesn't have the brakes or hazards on, I'd at least expect hazards on in this situation to save someone from rear ending me

Driving home down the A14 tonight some kn@bhead in a new blue E-class found it acceptable to plough his brakes on in the fast lane every time the car in front (a full length of a football pitch ahead in front) put their brakes on. There's being cautious and there's being silly

Around where I live ( out in the sticks ) you take it for granted some **** is going to be coming round a blind bend on the wrong side of the road because they'd rather have a head on collision than drive through a puddle. ****ing idiots!!! Sorry.

If you're coming round a corner and there's a car stopped dead you're naturally going to think it's still moving, especially if it doesn't have the brakes or hazards on, I'd at least expect hazards on in this situation to save someone from rear ending me

Driving home down the A14 tonight some kn@bhead in a new blue E-class found it acceptable to plough his brakes on in the fast lane every time the car in front (a full length of a football pitch ahead in front) put their brakes on. There's being cautious and there's being silly

Exactly!

Has it occurred to you that being 'cautious' and an 'elderly driver' may somehow be connected?

Driving home the other night, I had cause to test the SBC system on my Merc! Driving along an A road in the dark, came across a car stopped dead in front of a puddle.

No brake lights, no hazards. As I (just) pulled up behind him, he advanced cautiously into the puddle (probably wisely since it reached several inches up the tyres in the middle!).

Not entirely sure why he was stopped. Of course, I know perfectly well, one has to be ready to stop for any or no reason. But it occurred to me as I passed him in the town centre later, some of these older drivers who are excessively cautious, it's highly ironic, since the chances are that they'll get involved in an accident as a result of their excessive caution. It will always be somebody else's fault of course!

You've contradicted yourself. (probably wisely since it reached several inches up the tyres in the middle!).Not entirely sure why he was stopped.

I see scores of driver being cautious, maybe over cautious, avoiding puddles, but I don't see it's age related, as it applies to some young drivers as well.

I think the OP meant the driver advanced cautiously, probably wisely (rather than driving through at full speed) but was then shocked when the driver stopped completely.

Not sure TBH. Just read it that way.

Ant.

I think the OP meant the driver advanced cautiously, probably wisely (rather than driving through at full speed) but was then shocked when the driver stopped completely.

Not sure TBH. Just read it that way.

Ant.

Maybe I mis-understood.

Perhaps he had recently burst a tyre/damaged a wheel/broken a spring/damaged suspension by driving into a pothole hidden in a puddle ?

I know I have experienced that type of damage in the past and therefore wary of what might be hidden in puddles .

Assume and expect nothing.
Develop an awareness of closing speed.

It makes sense to be cautious around standing water, mainly because you cannot know how deep it is or what lies beneath

Water up the air intake of your MB will do it no good at all.

Puddles often form when the underground drain system cannot cope, what happens then is that the manholes pop out which are an unseen hazard let alone the big holes that remain.

Probably a keen fan of the detailing trying keep his whip clean.

I was following an MGF once one a very wet country road when he entered, very slowly, a large puddle spanning the width of the road.

We got half way through when his left hand side dropped dramatically and he grounded on what must have been the largest pothole ever.

Poor chap got soaked getting out of the car and had to call for a tow truck to unbeach it.

Since them have been pretty cautious of very large puddles.

17years ago I had a rover 420 deisel, when driving to work one morning I came across a large puddle covering the whole road, didn't seem very deep but it turned out it didn't need to be as apparently the air intake was near the bottom of the engine. Came to a complete stop halfway through as the engine seized. Cost £2000 and took 6 weeks to fix. Luckily insurance company accepted part responsibility as storm damage but still makes me cautious to this day of driving through standing water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom