Stopping Power

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimmyca69

Car
Looking for new one
I know they are big brakes and expensive to replace but the stopping power of my E55 AMG yesterday to potentially save my life (and itself) was crazily good!

Another car swerved out in front of us, and I mean just in front - any later and he would have hit me. We were doing around 65-70mph they were doing about 30mph, i had to slam on the brakes (weather was damp) car braked hard and the car just held firm. No sliding or any other real drama otherwise we would have been off the road. Got close but thankfully no touching.

Never great to have to find this out but the car in that situation was amazing. Kudos to my Merc :)

Another car swerved out in front of us, and I mean just in front - any later and he would have hit me. We were doing around 65-70mph they were doing about 30mph,

What kind of road was this on?

It was a DC, other driver stuck behind slow moving vehicle and decided to pull out as i was going passed.

That answers the query. :)

p.s. The tyre s grip on the road are the limit to braking capacity on any car and no car should lose control under braking as the ABS stops the wheels locking.

A few weeks ago I was taking my old Mum to the doctors during the school run. A scummy mummy with kids in the back, talking on a mobile, in a £200 Nissan Micra decided to pull out of a side road to turn right and stop in my lane on a busy main road. There was little more than a car length between us and although travelling at 30mph I fully braced myself for impact fully expecting the airbags to deploy. To my amazement the car stopped about a foot from the drivers door. The seat belt locked, I whacked my head on the visor, and felt two or three strong pulses from the ABS. but I was amazed. My poor Mum was shocked at how the car managed to stop. I was grateful I'd had new disks and pads three months ago, and amazed at the stopping power.
Of course the woman nearly causing the accident started shouting and screaming it was my fault as I was supposed to give way to her!

So I fully agree with the OP. The E55 is an awsome machine that continues to wow me even after 18 months ownership.

Never great to have to find this out but the car in that situation was amazing. Kudos to my Merc :)

W211 is pretty awesome in this sort of situation.

It's the lack of drama that got me when it's saved my day. Maximum braking almost instantly and feels totally under control.

SBC helps in these situations. I was surprised at my s211's ability to haul itself up pretty sharpish.

SBC gives a firm pedal feel that's artificial but lots of assistance when needed. It's a great system until it fails.

that's the E55's 8 piston brakes working for you :)

They may stop I agree with that, I was concerned at VMax that I would not stop by the first turn off so elected straight on. I then found I had plenty of room while braking from 180 mph on my first run, my main issue is I wish the would have some feel to them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom