stopping rust?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e300

Car
2002 ML55 AMG
Is there any way to stop and hide rust without going to a body shop?

Grind it out with an angle grinder until there is only bare metal visible, then prime it with Zinc primer, paint, then layers of lacquer. take your time!

Thanks, can i get a perfect match for my paint? And yea, rust is kinda part of mercedes :)

Depending on the colour of your car, Halfords sell spray cans...

I tryed one of those last time it was slightly darker, i thought maybe take the car somewhere and get them to match it?

Haha i see that now, i ment to do the work myself but i guess they could match and sell me paint

Try Colourtone. They mix aerosols to any colour and sell all the bodyshop accessories you'll need. LINK.

Depends wether you are going to get rid of it for a few months or do it for good
zinc primer has never worked long time and I have put many threads relating to rust on the forum and the correct way of dealing with it have a look in the bodywork section about corrosion/rust etc posted by me and if you need any free advice
I will gladly help

Clive

Is there any way to stop and hide rust without going to a body shop?

Paintshop supplies off Littletennis Street which is off Daleside road Nottingham have mixed paint for me into spray cans.

I left them with the petrol filler cover of my '85 230 ce in signal red and they matched the colour to that.

They also sold me a spray, which after the repair/paintwork is done,you lightly spray around it to help blend the new paint to the original. Bit sceptical it would work, but have to say, a good sized and deep scratch in the bodywork of the car repaired very nicely to an invisable finish.

If the paintwork is metallic, doubt it would be as easy.

I was trying to think where that was and remembered i worked down there for a year or so on the appartments :) ill give them a visit on saturday morning thanks

now how would i patch up a hole?

Anyway without knowing how to weld? How about the liquid metal stuff? The wholes in the wing, about 2 pence sized square

Anyway without knowing how to weld? How about the liquid metal stuff? The wholes in the wing, about 2 pence sized square

It would be ok to use if you cant weld, but it wont last that long and wont be a permanent repair:eek:

If the corrosion is'nt structural, which a hole in the wing would'nt normally be, a solution would be to scrape out the hole to clear the rust, and then fibreglass from the inside of the wing, finishing with filler, primer, top coat etc.

Jobs such as this normally are achieved to a good standard by previous experience, but someone with patience and an eye for detail could well make a decent job also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom