Stopping 'stop/start'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

moodi

Car
CLS55
Hi all,

Looking at a few AMG's as a choice for my next car. On some of the more modern ones, Stop/Start is a pet hate.

Is there a way to turn this off for good, without having the push the little button on the dash each time?

Eek, £100 and it looks hideous. Is there any way to hardwire it out DIY, whilst leaving it looking OEM?

Or to code in a "memory" function so it remembers if it was on/off when the car was last switched off?

Or to code in a "memory" function so it remembers if it was on/off when the car was last switched off?

That’s what it does. Plug it in and it programs the system to remember the last setting. Then remove it.
I’m pretty sure there is no other way except maybe a session on Star which will cost a similar amount.

You pays your money...

I would gladly pay more to not have my OBD port plugged up. Hmm, a few US forums report they got theirs done when the car went in for a tune/remap, so there must be a way.

On my W204, there is no obvious way to turn it off using STAR.

There were some suggestions that it might be possible to change the settings so that it goes off when transmission Sport mode is selected (then back on when Eco is selected). But I don't know for fact.

As for the OBDII dongle, from what I read it uploads a modified ('hacked') version of the Stop/Start ECU software, and that the mod is lost if the software is later updated again (i.e. legally using STAR). So it's not a simple settings change as such. But I didn't actually buy the OBDII dongle so I don't know for sure.

I would gladly pay more to not have my OBD port plugged up.
Plug it in and it programs the system to remember the last setting. Then remove it.
-not necessary to keep plug at OBD diagnostic socket. Changes are final and you can remove plug till next time you visit dealers.

-not necessary to keep plug at OBD diagnostic socket. Changes are final and you can remove plug till next time you visit dealers.

Well that makes it a whole lot better! How about a group buy for the forum and everyone gets to use it?

Well that makes it a whole lot better! How about a group buy for the forum and everyone gets to use it?
It's linked to your VIN.

You can re-use it as many times as you like, but only only the car it was ordered for (you will be asked to supply the VIN when placing the order).

Aha, they thought of that. Ok, not a bad deal considering it does exactly what I want. Thank you!

Had a thought.
I think you can get one of these that ‘remembers’ the dynamic select mode (it normally reverts to comfort after a couple of hours).
If you have ‘individual’ mode, you can disable stop/start AND set your preferred driving mode which will be remembered.
If that works, could be a bit of a bonus.

Is it really that difficult to simply press the eco button after you've started the car?

Every single time yes, for something that is of dubious benefit and questionable safety, especially in an auto.

Walking the dog the other day, a range rover came round a corner from the main road to a side road. As he came off the gas round the corner I heard the engine cut out, then start again.

Drove a Seat Ibiza auto with stop start. I would get to junctions, the engine would stop instantly, then a noticeable delay on pulling out as it restarted at the same time as the gearbox tried to apply drive to the wheels.

I tend to agree.
I like it in my Jeep (manual) and it is easy to control by keeping the clutch dipped if it looks like I’m only stopping for a couple of seconds.
In the auto it is much too keen to cut out and can’t be controlled.
Fine for when the traffic lights are on red, but in very slow traffic, or engaging brake hold, or stopping and putting into reverse, it is intrusive and a pain.

This can be coded out of the car permanently so it doesn't get re-enabled when serviced or updated in anyway at Mercedes. Cost £150 inc VAT

This can be coded out of the car permanently so it doesn't get re-enabled when serviced or updated in anyway at Mercedes. Cost £150 inc VAT

By Comand? Would we need to travel to you or can it be done remotely? Good to know!

I tend to agree.
I like it in my Jeep (manual) and it is easy to control by keeping the clutch dipped if it looks like I’m only stopping for a couple of seconds.
In the auto it is much too keen to cut out and can’t be controlled.
Fine for when the traffic lights are on red, but in very slow traffic, or engaging brake hold, or stopping and putting into reverse, it is intrusive and a pain.

Aye, the missus has it in her manual Fiesta and I don't mind it there as I can control it and do use at lights when stopped for a while.

Reactions: Ted
Here's another option: buy and fit a failed auxiliary battery from Terry or Olly... and hey presto no more Stop/Start :)

On a serious note... I turn it off at the start of the journey, but I turn it back on every once in a while (while the car is moving) - the green light reassures me that the main battery is in good condition :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom