storage compartments

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crash406

Car
C270 CDI AV ESTATE
under radio need to remove them to fit mp3 player and wiring, the radio will not come out so need a different access point underneath, is easier to take out ashtray first, help would begrateful. already cracked part of the dash trying to remove radio so hence different approach..

If you are trying to remove the stock radio you need the MB radio removal keys

Are you sure you are using the correct keys as they usually pull put with ease

this head unit

Are you sure you are using the correct keys as they usually pull put with ease
dont have keys just tabs that flick out and looks like a no win situation to get out, other than forcing then the dash will crack..

Is it possible to get a picture of the head unit and the tabs you talk about as Alpine head units do have a pull system and dont use removal keys, just remembered !

Last edited:
Have shown a picture of an old Alpine cage to help show what you need to do:

DSC02857.jpg

After removing the faschia trim you sould see the above. There are two pointy clips that stick out on either side as shown. Between the pointy clips you would find pins which are locked in place, you have to use something like a very small flat head screwdriver and push these inwards and upwards so that they are between the openings of the pointy bits on the cage. You should now be able to pull out the unit. Hope this helps

As Gurpz said. They need to be removed with the special removal keys, either Mercedes ones or the standard type. Post a picture of the front of the stereo. Dont just force it out or you will do a lot of damage

If you have two little slots,one each side then the keys
W000 589 88 63 00 are the ones that you need £1.06 from MB dealers

these were mainly in use from 1996 to 2001

As Gurpz said. They need to be removed with the special removal keys, either Mercedes ones or the standard type. Post a picture of the front of the stereo. Dont just force it out or you will do a lot of damage

Yea, I was saying that but realised later that he said he has a Alpine head unit and Alpine head units dont use a key release system

Yea, I was saying that but realised later that he said he has a Alpine head unit and Alpine head units dont use a key release system

Your right, they use a tiny spring system. I only discovered that when I couldnt remove my old headunit so I fed my arm up through the carpet in the footwell so I could force it out.

It took me longer to remove my arm from my dashboard :eek:

Yea they can be a bugger to remove if you dont know how, good security feature in a way

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom