Storage space under floor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jeetesh

Car
Mercedes E220d AMG Line Premium Plus 2017
Hi, I’m a new member and have now owned a Mercedes E220d estate for over two years and love the car dearly.

I’m struggling to find any reference to the volume of space under the boot floor, I sent a request via MB website however was referred to a Dealer who couldn't answer the question.

Does anyone know the volume under the boot floor? For info my car has the following spec:

2017 E220d premium+, RWD, only self levelling rear, no towbar fitted. It’s an AMG line with 20” wheels (runflat) however don’t expect that to make a difference although there is no wheel brace and jack.

Thank you in advanced.

Is there a specific reason you need to know?
My C class estate takes quite a lot of stuff under the floor, but no idea of the volume.

No specific reason I’d just like to add it to seats up and down volume to just know what it can actually carry. I know I can get a carry on luggage bag in there and there is a fair amount for space around it still there so I suspect there is 60-80 litres of space under the floor.

I have never found the litreage of space a very useful indicator of space as the shape of the boot / well determines so much.

If you have the car, can you try a range of cases to see which fit best?

No specific reason I’d just like to add it to seats up and down volume to just know what it can actually carry. I know I can get a carry on luggage bag in there and there is a fair amount for space around it still there so I suspect there is 60-80 litres of space under the floor.

That's fair enough, I just put stuff in until no more will fit.

I think you will find the space under the floor in the estate is where the extra seats would go to make it a 7 seater. From memory when I had my W210 estate is was large but not too deep, not quite enough for a suit case :(

I think you will find the space under the floor in the estate is where the extra seats would go to make it a 7 seater. From memory when I had my W210 estate is was large but not too deep, not quite enough for a suit case :(
Indeed, The car could be ordered with two rearward facing seats which would fit in the space when stowed away. I may need to find a way to measure it if there isn’t an official volume measurement.

This reminds me of how we used to get "so much stuff" into sports cars when coming back from France, without a thought as to what it might do the the handling.

This old geezer gives you the idea. He used to drive it all back from Chateau Palmer in Bordeaux.

GHPXRWH9PZ4QF1FVVTG3.jpg

If all estate cars were pure in shape in the load area, ie: a smooth sided oblong box the litre volume would be a good measure of load space, as it stands it's virtually useless as an indicator to actual usable volume due to all kinds of things including wheel arches , rear window slope, rear seat angle , full flat or partial fold down rear seats , RWD or FWD...the list is endless.

Indeed, The car could be ordered with two rearward facing seats which would fit in the space when stowed away. I may need to find a way to measure it if there isn’t an official volume measurement.

How will this help you? How will knwi

Things you wish to carry will either fit or not fit.

Total volume is irrelevent if it is oddly shaped and restricted in width etc. It is how usable the overall space is that is important?

Fully agree knowing the volume won’t change my life, what I carry or how. I was curious if anyone knew. If comparing to a 5 series or V90, their underfloor storage is near useless so happy that this isn’t and is useable. As per mikeinwimbledon’s picture, i might do odd trip across the channel and whilst the car itself would probably be filled, the space under the floor would be where the extra would go.

A nice tried and tested idea and the one you learn about at school. Clearly not going to do it to my car but if there are any volunteers out there willing, let me know!

Oh another reason for knowing is that I have a couple for friends who seem to like the idea of top trumps and both bmw owners. I had a c250d, one upgraded his his 320d to and X4, I changed to an E220d estate (lifestyle reasons), he went and bought an X5.

I don’t care for this sort of comparison as I’ll buy what I can afford and what works for me. However the strangest thing happened, he started comparing litres of boot space (not normal for a BMW owner) with his being 650 and mine being 640-670 so broadly equivalent. He then proceeded to tell me he had a bit of space under the floor To which I replied “have a look at this”. His jaw dropped and it shut him up (ill advised BMW drivers who believe what a dealer says with no opinion of their own!). He then proceeded to ask what I was going to change mine for as if I was trying to better him however I said I’m not changing, if I changed it would be for the same car again and there is therefore no point. Since then no commentary and it’s shut him up. I’m now just a bit curious.

Seal up the floor and start pouring water in, see how many litres it takes and that's you sorted. Then pump the water out and dry the area off, job done!
Exactly what I was just thinking. My thoughts included lining the void with a plastic sheet. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom