Storage....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Koolvin

Administrator
Staff member
Car
W168, W169 & S202
Due to some unforseen financial circumctances I am thinking to put my car in storage for a year or so very soon after the Summer..

What kind of things do I need to know, I don't want a seized Engine or brakes.

One soon to be broke man. I'm just a poor man with a Benz.

Sorry to hear that Koolvin.

You may already know this, by my Dad always says to leave the handbrake off if car is standing idle. Stops it seizing.

Cant offer much mechanical advise......

A good wax before you store it may help ???

Also, if at all possible keep some form of insurance on it, Zero miles TPFT maybe.... you would be gutted if something happened whilst it was in storage.

Thanks Paul thats good advice, I would like Fully comp 0 miles ;)

I had an old Cavalier I had to keep in storage for a year - few tips:

1) Best to inflate the tyres a little over what you normally would because they're bound to go down a bit!

2) Keep it unlocked because if it isn't going to be driven, the battery goes flat pretty quickly (say, a month), just running alarm, clocks, etc, otherwise, plug it in through the cigar lighter socket!

3) I found I got a bit of mould on some of the exposed metal surfaces of the engine (no heat to burn it off!) so maybe some wax in the engine compartment would help

4) Agree about handbrake!

5) If you want to avoid paying car tax, need to SORN the vehicle!

Shame to have it unused for a year though.....

K,

Do you actually intend to store and forget for while, or would you still take it for a spin once a fortnight?

Koolvin.

Sorry to hear about your predicament, especiallly after you have done so much to it.

Why not give someone like

this a ring they might help with some advice.

I am sorry to hear your news Koolvin - Whats up, redundancy? family problems? I only hope its not too serious.

From experience, I suggest giving the car a damn good clean and polish and then cover it with an expensive breatheable cover. Keep the garage well ventilated so no mould or damp can take hold.

Putting the car on stands is best so someone can turn the wheels regularly but even more importantly is to start the car and leave it running till its up to proper operating temperature at least every six weeks or so.

As you are probably aware, the most delicate part on your car is the turbo so really, you need to get that spinning over also in order to protect the bearings and keep everything lubed.

Not an easy thing to organise but If you had a friend in the country with a barn or something it would be best bet. Garages are notoriously damp prone unless heated.

Very sorry to hear you say this Koolvin, if we/I can be of any help you only have to ask, you never know somebody here may be able to help you out!!

Originally posted by Sp!ke
Not an easy thing to organise but If you had a friend in the country with a barn or something it would be best bet. Garages are notoriously damp prone unless heated.

Now this one I may be able to help with.;) I stored 15 Rolls Royces and Limos last winter, this year I have the following in storage; MG Midget, Mini cooper, 2 old Volvo's (sh1te!!), Willys Jeep, Porsche, Unimog (monster truck!), VDub camper:cool: , and many bits of tooling machinery. All relatively low individual values but collectively worth a bit.

Currently I am looking at the pro's and con's of moving property but unfortunately a newly proposed bypass has scuppered my plans and property value:( so I dont know what to do. For this reason I am only taking on short term storage but it maybe an option for you.

As for storing a car I would agree with all the above, clean, wax, raise off the ground and run regularly, also a regular drive to keep things moving and lubricated.

I would agree with the above.
Plus - Remove battery, keep on trickle charge if you intend to run on say a monthly basis.
Good Luck whatever, but best to get someone to look after it and run it regular.

Sorry to hear about that.

If it's any help, I'm in between jobs at the moment (7 months so far) and the Merc sits on the drive, has a run every other week (which is difficult 'cos it's telling me I've got 100 miles to a B Service!).

I just leave it in gear and when it's run I ensure the thing gets properley to temperature, Oh and yes keep the tyres pumped a little higher than usual.

HTH

R

Sorry to hear the news K. :(

I agree with all of the above especially the point of running the engine regularly up to normal temp, even if your not planning on taking the car out of storage.

S.

P.S. Couldn't you put the Micra into storage instead ;) and keep the Merc running with the 'Economy' switch in force?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom