Storing Wheels with Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kamalpatel12448

Car
C63 (W204) and C240 (W202) - just not at the same time!
Hi folks, just seeking advice and guidance on storing my 19" AMG wheels with the tyres on them for the winter. Any key things not to do or to do?
Thanks,
Kamal

Stack them flat, keep them inflated and keep them in the dark.

Mic

From Continental:

ttttx.png

Make sure to clean them thoroughly before storing them :)

The alloys are virtually new, 8 weeks old, and yes washed before storing :). See my other thread - dealer replaced the alloys and I did a deal on the existing allows for winter wheels ;-)

I'd like to hang mine on a wall, but I'm blowed if I can find suitable hooks - they'd need to be a good 8" deep. Anyone got any ideas?

I'd like to hang mine on a wall, but I'm blowed if I can find suitable hooks - they'd need to be a good 8" deep. Anyone got any ideas?

Shelf brackets?

Mic

A suitable length of webbing threaded through the wheels, knotted and placed on a hook or wall bracket will do it, even better if you have a suitable roof beam for the hooks, and the space. Mine will be stacked on top of each other in a dark corner for three months.

Why in the dark?
It slows down the rate at which the rubber degrades. If you're talking about winter tyres which may last for years (only being used for a few months at a time) then this is significant.

Shelf brackets?

Yes, I want to put them on the wall, 2 over 2, with the brackets (of some sort) sticking through the centre hole. Thinking about it, I suppose there's no reason why the front of the wheel can't face the wall, in which case the bracket doesn't need to be too long. I could bend the end of the brackets up a bit so there'd be no danger of them dropping onto the kids' heads!

I was originally thinking of screwing some stud-iron into the wall, the advantage being I could bolt a plate on the end to stop the wheel being pulled off but I'm not sure it would take the weight!

In Germany it's normal to hang them on the garage wall (swapping over from winter to summer wheels). You can get similar brackets here e.g.

Universal Tyre Storage Set at Westfalia Mail Order - UK

Thanks! I wrote the above reply before seeing your's but that's exactly the sort of thing I want. I do wish these things would make clear what the dimension referred to though - if the stud is 17cm I'm not sure that'll be long enough, will check tomorrow.

Last edited:
I suppose that you could use (wide) straps to hang the tyres, at which point the exact shape and size of the hook/bracket itself are not important (as long as it can take the load).

I suppose that you could use (wide) straps to hang the tyres, at which point the exact shape and size of the hook/bracket itself are not important (as long as it can take the load).

That would work fine if I could stagger the wheels' position on the wall, but I don't have much clear wall space so I'll need to put them in line (2 over 2).

Can anyone enlighten me as to why stacked is better than standing upright? I can't imagine a tyre is going to flat spot under it's own weight? Just curious as I have spare set of alloys and tyres and not much storage space.

I think you answered your own question :thumb:. Stacking takes less space, which is why I stacked them (needed the extra space).

With the recent uptake of winter tyres I'd expect the retalers to be looking for ways to give themselves a competitive edge. ATS for example was offering a free tyre storage deal when swapping for the season (not sure if this included rims)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom