Storm Damage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scimitar

Car
CLK230
Hi all,

My 230CLK has had a bit of a run in with half the neighborhood trees and other flying debris in birmingham and has gone from a pristine vehicle to a dented, scuffed, scratched and smashed state.. :crazy:

Its got FSH and covered under Mobilife(?) - spoke to my insurers and they have their recommended garages - however I dont want to lose out on my Mobilife if the bodyshop around the corner repair it..

Do you know if i refuse the Insurers and want to take to MB will they still cover the Mobilife warranty?

Worth it or let the insurance deal with it?

Suggestions appreciated! thanks

LZ

When I had my car repaired they were happy for me to take it to a garage of my choice as long as I got two quotes for the work. From speaking to the bodyshop manager at MB Straftford, any repairs are covered by Mobilo...

It is your legal right to use the garage of your choice, so use an official MB repairer so that your warranty isn't compromised.

scimitar said:
Do you know if i refuse the Insurers and want to take to MB will they still cover the Mobilife warranty?

Worth it or let the insurance deal with it?

Suggestions appreciated! thanks

LZ

I simply contacted my insurance company and explained to them the requirements of Mobilio. They were very understanding and merely asked for the address of the workshop.

They did send an assessor to look at the car, but there was no problems whatsoever. No second estimate was asked for, nor could we have obtained one. (Directline)

Good luck,
John

most insurers will let you have the car repaired wherever you like, as has already been pointed out it is your legal right but I know that one or two (including Direct Line) will take away the guaranteed courtesy car if you don't go to their approved repairer leaving you to negotiate with the body shop.

Andy

Thanks guys- my insurers wanted 2x quotes and they will assess as you all said.
Spoke to Gerard Mann and as this is covered with Mobilio manuf warranty - Hastings will accept the single quote! (A decent insurance company?! have I found the holy grail?!) :)

Gerard Mann have looked car over and said they will provide a nissan or something as a courtesy foc - the est will be 3-4k+.. oh well at least ill be mobile! Warranty wont be affected - should take 2 weeks for job.

Thanks all for the advice- hopefully sorted .. now for the other 2 cars and the house.. sigh! :crazy:

LZ

Gerard Mann - Bodyshop woes

4.. going on 5 weeks later..

Went to see the car at Gerard Mann..

Bonnet was resprayed and there are swirls in the paintwork.. when asked the bodyshop mgr was told thats to be expected...? as car is black .. we can polish it but when it rains they'll be back in a few days..

Is this normal? Id have thought when you respray there should not be any swirls..

Also..

They forgot to replace mouldings around the windows.. so they will sort these after i noticed them scratched and was 100% sure they said they would replace.. they have promised to sort out now..

And..
Paintwork on the roof has scratches and dirt under it which wasnt there originally.. they will sort

And finally..

The passenger side mirror housing which was resprayed had dirt under it.. they rubbed it out and now theres a little pin hole white bit..

When I asked them they said they are allowed a certain amount of paint blemish and Im being too exact.. Im wondering if I am.. they got 5k for this job and now im being told I should expect this kind of work as my car is black and not showroom new etc.

Any ideas who I could talk to re my concerns?.. Mercedez benz UK or my Insurer (concern is I went to Gerard Mann over their recommended non MB dealer..)

Any help/ideas appreciated

Thanks

scimitar said:
Any ideas who I could talk to re my concerns?.. Mercedez benz UK or my Insurer (concern is I went to Gerard Mann over their recommended non MB dealer..)

Any help/ideas appreciated

Thanks

Hi scimitar,
I'm a bit on the slow side, but are you saying you went to your local Mercedes-Benz dealer and let them arrange for the repair?

Or did you take your car to Gerard Mann because you believed it was the only recommended agent?

If the dealership took the car then I would suggest your complaint is with them, if however you took the car then I would suggest the matter rests with your insurance company and you.

I would be most unhappy with the repair and would not listen to any BS. You did not pay for 5 year old paint??? The car should be immaculate, the paint finish top quality and it should also have been baked in a dust free enviroment?

Do NOT accept the car.

John

scimitar said:
The passenger side mirror housing which was resprayed had dirt under it.. they rubbed it out and now theres a little pin hole white bit..
Factory-painted mirror housings are often cheaper than getting someone to re-paint one. The quality would also be perfect :rolleyes:

Hi

My insurers recommended a non MB bodyshop - I rang MB and they suggested Gerard Mann as this woul retain Mobilo warranty.

I spoke to my insurers and they agreed for Gerard Mann (as this would retain warranty) - asking for a single quote which came to circa 5k, 3k of which was labour!

Now that Im getting what appears to be poor quality job with paint swirls on painted areas, dirt under repaints etc.
Wondering whom I should i raise it with?

My insurers (as they will pay) or with Mercedes Benz as Gerard Mann is a MB franchise?..

Thanks

John is right. It depends who your contract is with. If you gave it to the Dealer who then arranged the job (which is what I usually do), then your contract is with the Dealer. If however you went to the paintshop on the recommendation of the Dealer, then your contract is with paintshop. In any event, if the Dealer/paintshop won't listen to your concerns, just tell the Ins. Co. that you are not happy with the work. They are the guys with the clout!

I had a C220 in metallic black, the paintshop did a perfect job every time Mrs A came back from a game of bagatelle!

IanAlexander2 said:
If you gave it to the Dealer who then arranged the job (which is what I usually do), then your contract is with the Dealer.

Hi Ian,
I am so pleased to read that I am not the only one that goes through the dealer. I have never been charged for service, and always receive a courtesy car.

My wife simply took the car to the dealer, they gave her a courtesy car then took our car to the agent. They also inspected our car prior to offering it back. The repair was excellent so I have no experience of poor workmanship.

Reading between the lines in this particular instance I totally agree with you. I would contact the insurance and tell them to with hold payment. I,m just so surprised this is an approved bodyshop and the quality of basic spraying is so poor!

Regards,
John

Ok I prob commited a major sin today.. I collected the car :eek: :crazy:

Got loads of calls from Gerard Mann advising me car is ready and for me to collect.. Went down to see it..

Car was parked in the middle of the driveway and keys placed in my hands befire i coudl say a word, had a look around the car found :-

Window surrounds replaced (as they should have been at start)
Bonnet has a dollop of paint which appears to be rubbed down but visible
Spirals on the bonnet in sunlight (freshly painted)

Advised bodyshop mgr I wasnt happy - he advised this is the best job they can do and they are satisfied and will not do any more - I need to speak to my insurance company.

Spoke to Insurance company - they said since I chose the dealership over their 3rd party (non MB garage) then they cant do anything.. But they will withhold payment - So I signed the slip making comment on it that I was not happy with the marks and would liaise with MB - parted with my Excess payment and took the car..

Upon taking the car home I discovered the following extra problems.. :crazy:

i) Rear MB Badge in circle on boot not stuck on properly, tap it and it rattles nicely..

ii) my Kompressor "wording" on the rear right is missing! empty space where it should be..

iii) The bumper plastic insert on front left bumper is not seated properly and is loose..

iv) open the door and a plastic insert covering moulding holes drops on the floor.. refuses to go back in and clip

Above are in addition to the paint splodge & sprials on the paint..

----
I rung MB a few days ago and they havent rung back.. said they are still awaiting callback from Gerard Mann.. (amazing how Gerard Mann can hound me to collect and wont call MB back..)

Never had this kind of hassle before.. I went to Gerard Mann against the wishes of my insurer they cant help. And the reason why I went to them was because they were the recommended MB Bodyshop by MB Birmingham..

Any suggestions on next step to take?

scimitar said:
I rung MB a few days ago and they havent rung back.. said they are still awaiting callback from Gerard Mann.. (amazing how Gerard Mann can hound me to collect and wont call MB back..)

Any suggestions on next step to take?

Hi scimitar,
I would be going absolutely ballistic....

First off, please try to avoid telephone calls or e-mails. Formal letters with photographs are the only way to go.

Did you involve your dealership at all, apart from your basic request of who their authorised agent was?

Have you taken the car back to the dealer and pointed out all the items you are complaining about?

Sorry I cannot be more constructive,

John

Once a car has had bodywork repairs,its NEVER the same again............

without wishing to be the bearer of bad tidings I suspect the bodyshop will just accept they've done a job they are not getting paid for and write it off - your excess will go someway to offsetting their costs. They won't really care that the insurance comapny are not going to pay them. So they lose out but not much and they don't have to waste any more of their time (how they will see it) chasing perfection with a customer they can't seem to satisfy

The insurance company won't be that bothered, they've got the car repaired at no cost to them and because you chose not to use their recommended bodyshop they can wash their hands of the entire thing. They have done quite nicely out of this one so far

Then there is MB, they have no real involvement in this apart from telling you who they use as their repairer in much the same way as they could give you directions to the nearest pub I don't think they have any real responsibility and certainly no legal requirements to get involved.

As soon as you took the car away you weakened your position and not noticing the faults you have since noticed makes you all the more vulnerable. I would have left the car there, taken photographs and not paid my excess until I was completely satisfied.

I'm not sure what I'd do in the position you are in now but I'd certainly get a couple of "expert opinions" on what it would cost to put it right and threaten to sue Gerrard Mann for the amount. This may just get some action on the bits you mentioned at the time but not the suff you have subsequently found - I'm rather afraid they will be down to you to sort out as it could easily turn into a your word against theirs scenario.

Sorry I can't be more constructive

Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom