Straighten steering wheel, 1990 W124 200E

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cleggmeister

Car
1990 W124 200E
Hi folks,

Couple of wee niggles that I'm going to resolve over the weekend, one of which is that my steering wheel is maybe 15 degrees off-centre with the front wheels straight.

Is this a simple job for someone with reasonable tools/knowledge? As I recall it wasn't so simple on my previous W210 so I just ignored it, but I'm far fonder of my W124 :)

You may be better off getting the alignment checked, certainly on more modern cars (and the W210) the steering wheel position is keyed to the shaft so cant be moved.

Normally the side it is aiming towards is that sides lower ball joint that is gone.

If the wheel is actually in the correct position on the splines with regards to proper indicator self cancel etc. ; then you just need to extend one tie rod and shorten the other tie rod, so the s/wheel gradually gets to centre position.

The front wheels should not move out of their existing position regarding alignment, assuming they are in fact in correct position.

Are the tyres wearing OK ?

The front wheels forward point of reference is the middle of the rear ( thrust angle ) meaning it's position via the rear toe adjustment would need to be confirmed first. Front wheel alignment can't do this so don't wast your money on that. Your minimum requirement would be four wheel laser alignment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom