Stranded with non starting s204

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maninsheds

Car
C220 CDI s204
Have a 2011 c220 CDI s204

Away for a break in Cambridge at the moment and been totally fine but today won't start. Supposed to be heading back to North yorkshire today.

Unlocks fine and dash lights up, but no change when key is inserted. Doesn't make the usual ”jusjjj” sound when key goes in. (Electronic steering lock?) Interestingly steering lock isn't on and steering can be turned.

Key will turn but engine doesn't turn over. There is some quiet clicking when key goes in.

Car was left unlocked last night but still power boot works fine, hazards come on, mirrors fold out fine etc. However suspected it could have been battery so
Bought a multimeter and only read 12.1volts.

However tried jumping it and no joy. (Although was done slightly hastily with a stranger whilst blocking people on a narrow street)

Now been on charge with a poxy 4a charger for several hours and still no joy.

Also suspected could be a key issue so disassembled key, but no visable breaks etc to coil or anything inside key.

Anyone any ideas?

No idea if this works or where it came from, it's just something I collected against the fateful day that my W204 does the same thing.

Edit: I just found the source which is impeccable so it should work.

C180K W204 EIS fault | Electronics and Audio

I have C180K W204 model of 2008. The key is turning but the car is not even cranking or starting, the dash doesn't light up, i have power to the radio, hazards lights and parking lights only, clock and dash illumination with the mileage.​
Sounds very much like the steering lock.​
If you.....​
Remove and refit the ignition relay in the front Sam ( fuse box ), the ignition should come to life.​
Then bridge the starter relay and the engine should start.​
Locate the ignition and starter relay before you start the process then proceed as follows..​
Turn key to ignition​
Within a couple of seconds remove and refit ignition relay ( ignition should come alive )​
Then bridge the starter relay from terminal 30-87 and the vehicle should start.​
This is only useful if the steering lock is 'off'​
I have tried and tested this method many times 😉

No idea if this works or where it came from, it's just something I collected against the fateful day that my W204 does the same thing.

Edit: I just found the source which is impeccable so it should work.

C180K W204 EIS fault | Electronics and Audio

I have C180K W204 model of 2008. The key is turning but the car is not even cranking or starting, the dash doesn't light up, i have power to the radio, hazards lights and parking lights only, clock and dash illumination with the mileage.​
Sounds very much like the steering lock.​
If you.....​
Remove and refit the ignition relay in the front Sam ( fuse box ), the ignition should come to life.​
Then bridge the starter relay and the engine should start.​
Locate the ignition and starter relay before you start the process then proceed as follows..​
Turn key to ignition​
Within a couple of seconds remove and refit ignition relay ( ignition should come alive )​
Then bridge the starter relay from terminal 30-87 and the vehicle should start.​
This is only useful if the steering lock is 'off'​
I have tried and tested this method many times 😉
Sounds very similar and gives me some hope. Thanks.

Can't find any Sam/fusebox diagram with reference to which are the starter and ignition relays though. Will keep searching, but if anyone has a link etc thatd be grand.

Got her going!

Couldn't get the procedure above working, but likely because I was on my own and not getting the timing right of unplugging and replugging the relay.

Given this led me to suspect the steering lock to be the issue though I gave the column a few choice smacks l, and a violent shake up and down with the height adjust unlocked and it all came back to life.

Happy days.

Got her going!

Couldn't get the procedure above working, but likely because I was on my own and not getting the timing right of unplugging and replugging the relay.

Given this led me to suspect the steering lock to be the issue though I gave the column a few choice smacks l, and a violent shake up and down with the height adjust unlocked and it all came back to life.

Happy days.

Well done,

Happy days indeed but for how long ?

I'd get the steering lock replaced or repaired asap. There is at least one repair thread somewhere on this forum. Basically it involves replacing the crappy Chinese motor in the lock with another one which you should be able to find on ebay. Alternatively there are places that will repair it for you.

Untitled.png

Last edited:
I've read that pointing a hairdryer at the EIS can work - although tricky if you're away and the car is parked on the street!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom