Strange 220 CDI Gearbox Issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JimBR

Car
CLK 220cdi Sport
Hi everyone,

I've got an annoying problem with the gearbox on my 06 CLK 220 CDI sport. Second gear in particular.

In the morning when the engine / gearbox is cold, whilst driving out of the estate I live on, the gearbox changes into second smoothly, but whilst in second the revs will get to around 1800-2000, then drop about 100-200rpm even though i'm holding the accelerator steady to maintain speed (it is quite built up). it tends to do with in second for the first 5 minutes of driving.

It is also slow to pick up drive in second sometimes, partiularly when getting back on the throttle at a junction / roundabout, again only when cold

Finally, when driving normally, if I slow behind traffic and it changes down into second when I accelerate it revs up much more quickly than any other gear, there is still drive but it doesn't feel like the power is being transmitted as strongly as it is in any other gear. I managed to catch it out recently by accelerating heavily when it changed down, the revs shot round to about 3,500rpm then it changed to third (not particularly smoothly) and took off.

I have taken it to my trusty indie, its been on STAR and showed no codes, the level was also checked and showed to be fine. The gearbox was serviced about 11,000 miles / 8 months ago.

This makes it sound much worse than it is, the car drives well, when warm it is fine (bar my concerns about when changing down to second) it is the revs dropping in the morning which is most annoying as it does so with a slight bump, which is noticeable

Any ideas?

Last edited:
I will be watching this with interest as my S320 does pretty much the same !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom