Strange 747 at Prestwick?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BonzoDog

Car
280 cdi Break S211 Avantgarde, B200 CDI, W245, Autotronic
The link below should, pasted into Google Maps, should give you a view of Prestwick airport.
Zoom in on the 747 which is on the apron to the right of runway 13.
It has USAF markings and appears to be a 100 model.
If you look at the fin, it has a peculiar squidge in the middle. Look at the shadow and it looks as though the tailplane is mounted half-way up the fin. there are two more USAF 747's parked on the alternate runway.
Had George and his mates come over for a game of golf one weeeknd?

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&amp;ll=55.508927,-4.587436&amp;spn=0.00898,0.015192&amp;t=h&amp;z=16&amp;om=1&amp;output=embed&amp;s=AARTsJqzARj-Z8VnW5pkPMLMmZbqrJcYpw"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&amp;ll=55.508927,-4.587436&amp;spn=0.00898,0.015192&amp;t=h&amp;z=16&amp;om=1&amp;source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

Last edited:
is this not glasgow airport?usaf did have a base once here.
CIA flights perhaps

Not a 747, either a Galaxy or another US 'High Wing' transporter..

..like a Fruit & Nut, Mars or Caramel

Why the curiosity BonzoDog, and how did you find yourself mulling over this?

Last edited:
yep looks like a C5 or c17 bu t without winglets it could be a C5

Definitely looking like Galaxys

c5005vz1.jpg

It's only a C5 Galaxy. Everyday occurrence at Prestwick. They refuel there intransit from USA to wherever.

You can see them clearly from the domestic terminal when boarding Ryanair and others, or perimeter fence. No attempt is made to hide them.

Not a 747, either a Galaxy or another US 'High Wing' transporter..

..like a Fruit & Nut, Mars or Caramel

Why the curiosity BonzoDog, and how did you find yourself mulling over this?

Long time interest in aircraft and some time working in the industry (IT).
I was looking at Prestwick because I do some writing and I wanted to check the configuration of the runways (they were as I remembered) when I noticed the planes. Should have recognised that they were C5's.

Long time interest in aircraft and some time working in the industry (IT).
I was looking at Prestwick because I do some writing and I wanted to check the configuration of the runways (they were as I remembered) when I noticed the planes. Should have recognised that they were C5's.
I have to confess to interest in most things mechanical [well cars, planes & yachts anyway]....

Got one, at gatwick, you can see the shadow over the car park

gatwick

...and a US Airways plane further right to it.... (this is fun)

gatwick 2

Last edited:
Cute? A Hercules?

No the lickle ones!!! :p

Heres a weird one at manchester airport, theres a roundabout and the road goes north west from it, then suddenly ends, but there are cars travelling on it in both directions, even a black car on the otherside of the runway. A plane-spotter location?

Manchester airport

Last edited:
No attempt is made to hide them.

Hide a C5:eek: ? Is that possible?:D

Anyway, from the original pic, one could tell it was a C5 and not a 747 by the high wing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom