STRANGE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION ISSUE???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

16v guy

HI guys i need your help i have a 1990 300e M103 i seem to have a weird problem with the transmission, i wonder if you guys could help, when my car is in P (park) the car is trying to nudge forward like if it wants to drive. the car has been off road for a while whilst i restored it i had the engine and box out all back together now and running sweet apart from this little snag any ideas,it drove fine before the engine rebuild, any help would be appreciated cheers.

What happens if you don't stop it 'trying to nudge forward'?

If the transmission is in P then it is locked and the car can't move forward (or backward) what it can do is roll forward very slightly as the play in the locking pawl is taken up.
Is this possibly what you are experiencing?

Has the gearbox or shifter been disturbed as they could be out of sync. Check to see if the shift lever on the gearbox is in park when the shifter is locked in park. Only do this with the engine not running as you can imagine what could happen if it was.

What happens if you don't stop it 'trying to nudge forward'?
Sorry for the late reply I'm getting the car ready for its MOT next week, sometimes its normal and will stay stationary and it's not trying to do anything I will get a better idea next week when I'm driving it, will update you guys, just having a problem with the n/s/r window replaced window regulator and comfort module window still not working going to check for any broken wires.

If the transmission is in P then it is locked and the car can't move forward (or backward) what it can do is roll forward very slightly as the play in the locking pawl is taken up.
Is this possibly what you are experiencing?
Sorry for the late reply been busy getting it ready for its MOT next week, I understand a little bit of play before it locks into the position but this is trying to drive🤨

Has the gearbox or shifter been disturbed as they could be out of sync. Check to see if the shift lever on the gearbox is in park when the shifter is locked in park. Only do this with the engine not running as you can imagine what could happen if it was.
Yes mate gearbox and shifter have been disturbed it's all been out cleaned up and put back in, I will check your suggestion tomorrow so what your advising is put the gear stick in P get under the car if I remember there is a black module with aplig socket and also a long metal bar which you can adjust it has a nut and thread on it which belief is the selecting rod could be wrong 😉 I need to check that is also in park ,if its slightly out it needs adjusting,is that correct?

Yes they both have to be synchronised.
A bit more information when in P or N and you rev the engine is seems like the car wants to drive but stays stationary it just has that want to lift off if that makes sense. Is this normal maybe I'm worrying about nothing.

If it is in park or neutral it should not move at all if you rev the engine. If you take your foot off the brake in P or N does the car creep

If it is in park or neutral it should not move at all if you rev the engine. If you take your foot off the brake in P or N does the car creep
No it doesn't creep also I've noticed this problem is intermittent also. 😬

I'm taking it for a mot today maybe a good drive will help, its been off the road a few years now. Do you know of any decent mechanics who know these cars its had a engine rebuilt is needs fine tuning.

Where are you located?

Bump

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom