Strange Cat-D write-off question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AntNotts

Car
2001 CLK230 Black, 35mm lower, 18" AMG alloys, private plate
A couple of months ago, just before my MOT, a van reversed into me at a junction. It was fairly low speed and all that happened to my CLK 230 was a few scuffs on the top of the bumper, chips in the small bumper surround and a few tiny chips in the topcoat on the very edge bonnet. I was impressed by the build of these beasts :thumb:

After a bit of of silliness from the van driver and his insurance, I have been found unquestionably not at fault and my claims and ncb will remain unaffected. That was good enough for me, I just wanted the car repairing. So I took my car in for examination, expecting a resprayed bumper and a good touch up on the tiny chips. The rest of the car is very nice. 2001, 75,000ml, black, 18" AMG's, black leather/black wood interior, private plate. They have written it off!!! But!! The price they offered me minus the cost of an incredibly low 'keep it' price means I will keep this much loved Merc, with slight bumper paint damage, now holding a Cat D write off, and get a cheque for more than I paid for it pretty much 'as is' 18 months ago.

All seems too good to me. Is there a downside to this? I've done a bit of googling about getting a cat-d on the road. This is just cosmetic on the bumper. Half an hour with the t-cut and touch up pen would see it ok-ish, with black bumper on my shopping list for whenever.

So... any advice on what happens next, and what to do? I've been given a 'keep it on Cat-D' price I am very happy with and still have the car.

Sounds like win win,all that will happen is you will get a marker on the log book
when changed or when the new keeper gets it,if sold.If it was cat c you would have
to have a VOSA identity check,in your case just carry on as normal.

When a car drops to that sort of level, farting on the seat can write it off.

As said - a win-win!

I've done something similar twice in the past. Car damaged, not my fault, I get paid a wad of cash (through uninsured loss recovery) and get it repaired cheaply - money in the bank...

Now a cat "D" it will only be worth approx. 50-70% of the retail value when you come to sell it, & most people will give it a wide berth...

I would be inclined to photograph the "damage" and keep the images along with details of the insurance claim. Then if you ever do come to sell you can show any prospective buyer what caused the "Cat D" classification.

Other than that, win win situation.

Cat D's are everywhere these days, insurance companies used to worry you about it but seem not to bother anymore.

Some don't bother with the repair as its so lightly damaged.

A customer had their Punto Mk2 written off cat D due to the front and rear lights were vandalized.
4 Secondhand lights later and £40.00 lighter in his wallet hes back on the road :)

Last edited:
That's great... I can't believe something like this has actually happened to me!! I'd love to spend some money on the CLK now, I've really got to like it. I'll have the wheels re-finished, hunt down a good black front bumper, maybe have the other scratches on the car properly done. And maybe a few more BHP. Why not? So now it currently stands me in minus figures. As I said, I like it, I intended to keep it for a while no I'm not bothered about it's value. I have very good records of the damage that wrote it off too.

Does it make it difficult to insure? Will I have to have it re-mot'd, or have the repair safety-checked (the paint). Will it have to go off the road?

Does it make it difficult to insure?...NO Will I have to have it re-mot'd...NO, or have the repair safety-checked (the paint)...NO. Will it have to go off the road?...NO
win win.:D

Cheers martyz, just digesting it all, sounds too good. :)

Cat D doesn't need any inspection, Cat C needs a chassis number check by VOSA. They (VOSA) are not interested in the quality of the repair, they simply check the chassis number against the V5.

Cat D doesn't have anything on the V5, Cat C does. But it will show on HPI.

Neither classification has any bearing on the level of damage, it is all to do with the value of the car. Cat D is repair is less than value (generally 60% of trade value) of the car but insurer decides not to repair. Cat C is more than the value, so insurer deems it uneconomic.

Newer cars with massive damage, such as bent chassis etc, can be Cat D, and older cars with a scratched bumper can be Cat C. An airbag going off can cause x£,000 of damage / repair and can tip the scales to a write off. If you have a courtesy car option, that can do similar.

I have a M3 that needed a new bumper and bonnet, high value car, Cat D. my wife has a 206CC, bumper and wing damage, low value car, Cat C. Similar damage, both cosmetic. HTH :thumb:

Cat D doesn't need any inspection, Cat C needs a chassis number check by VOSA. They (VOSA) are not interested in the quality of the repair, they simply check the chassis number against the V5.

Cat D doesn't have anything on the V5, Cat C does. But it will show on HPI.

Neither classification has any bearing on the level of damage, it is all to do with the value of the car. Cat D is repair is less than value (generally 60% of trade value) of the car but insurer decides not to repair. Cat C is more than the value, so insurer deems it uneconomic.

Newer cars with massive damage, such as bent chassis etc, can be Cat D, and older cars with a scratched bumper can be Cat C. An airbag going off can cause x£,000 of damage / repair and can tip the scales to a write off. If you have a courtesy car option, that can do similar.

I have a M3 that needed a new bumper and bonnet, high value car, Cat D. my wife has a 206CC, bumper and wing damage, low value car, Cat C. Similar damage, both cosmetic. HTH :thumb:

Similar for me. My Landrover 110 was side swiped by a lorry causing damage to front corner. It needed a bumper, wing, wing mirror and sidestep only and was written off with the cost of repairs seemingly around £1700 at the main stealers. I sourced the bumper and wing secondhand for £50 and got a new mirror for £10 and knocked out the side step. Total cost of repairs £60 plus a couple of hours of me tinkering. Had to pay the £45 DVLC check which was only done two years later after an address change resulted in the DVLA refusing to issue new log book until the check was done. So in summary the insurers paid out £1100 and let us keep the car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom