Strange Clicking sound

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rees_A

Banned
Car
CLK55 AMG
I have a strange intermitent clicking noise coming from my w202 c36 amg. It first started last Saturday and was a feint noise that sounded like it was coming from the dash.(It only happened on mway when accelerating) It then made a louder clicking sound (that I think sounds similar to a lolly stick in bycycle wheel sound) at all speeds and got really loud at about 50 and sounded like it was coming from the auto box shifter. I slowed down and it got quieter. I had the front of my car checked and also got the front pads replaced in case it was coming from the bvrakes somehow.

The noise then went away again. It seems to be intermittent but I guess something funny is going on. Does anyone else have a simikar noise on their car or any ideas on what it could be?

Cheers,

Alan :confused:

rees_A said:
I have a strange intermitent clicking noise coming from my w202 c36 amg. It first started last Saturday and was a feint noise that sounded like it was coming from the dash.(It only happened on mway when accelerating) It then made a louder clicking sound (that I think sounds similar to a lolly stick in bycycle wheel sound) at all speeds and got really loud at about 50 and sounded like it was coming from the auto box shifter. I slowed down and it got quieter. I had the front of my car checked and also got the front pads replaced in case it was coming from the bvrakes somehow.

The noise then went away again. It seems to be intermittent but I guess something funny is going on. Does anyone else have a simikar noise on their car or any ideas on what it could be?

Cheers,

Alan :confused:

Could be a lot of things? But on cars with Speedometer Cables, that is the noise you get when it is dry or kinked. :eek:

How do I know if I have a cable? I've got a 96 c36 amg??

No speedo cable, all speedos are electronic now, and since about '95.

clicking noise

If you change tyres sometimes you get a clicking noise this is caused by the tin plate on back of front brake disk.Open windows individualy to see which wheel it is coming from.then take off wheel and push the tin plate away from disks and replace wheel.It sounds like this because when yuo replaced the front brake pads the mechanic probably pushed the tin plate away from front brake disk.

For information, the clicking sound was the driveshaft rubber hitting somewhere under the car(Or at least thats what the garage told me last week) The new part had to come from Germany so still haven't got my car back. I've been told it will be done today though so all should be well this afternoon. I'll post a follow-up once I've got my car back and have tested etc.

Alan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom