Strange crash avoidance...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Skateboard
So normally, you would expect people to avoid crashes.

In this video, at 4:40, I'm getting the distinct impression there was some turning into the van...?

I also note the Merc with A7RSE on the plate blatantly jumping a red light at 2:51. Anyone from here?

[YOUTUBE]z1VMFHOs0I8[/YOUTUBE]

I am assuming that the driver of the Mitsubishi Shogun NU06 EYD - 'brake testing' at 5:30 - was not happy with the lorry driver overtaking the bus?

One of these clips gives some clarity on another clip which I think was posted on here not long ago.

It's the one where a Renault is in lane 3 and a Merc C in lane 2.

The Renault passenger gets right out of the window and throws something at the Merc C quite hard for no apparent reason.

Earlier, the Renault was travelling in lane 3 and the Merc C just pulled out and the Renault had to brake quite a bit.

I am assuming that the driver of the Mitsubishi Shogun NU06 EYD - 'brake testing' at 5:30 - was not happy with the lorry driver overtaking the bus?

Unless there was some alteration prior to that, that was the only assumption I could make as well.

Thing is with brake testing which people seem to do with amazing frequency is that with the evidence of a dash cam, I can't imagine it would fall in favour of the car in front should there be an accident and it's clear cut the driver did it on purpose.

...Thing is with brake testing which people seem to do with amazing frequency is that with the evidence of a dash cam, I can't imagine it would fall in favour of the car in front should there be an accident and it's clear cut the driver did it on purpose.

Unlike with insurance scams... 'punitive brake testing' is meant to give the other driver a mild heart attack, while actually avoiding a crash.

The perpetrators assume they will be able to avoid an actual crash thanks to of their fine machine and their superior driving skills.

And the police probably don't take any action against 'punitive brake testers' as such, at least not based on dashcam evidence - because if they did, then I think we would see much less of it.

Some of these clips show the drivers inability to react to any kind of obvious hazard. Ploughing in the mistaken belief that they will be "in the right" regardless of the consequences.

Oh look these is a car about to pull out. I will keep going and he can stop. Crash !!!

Thing is with brake testing which people seem to do with amazing frequency is that with the evidence of a dash cam, I can't imagine it would fall in favour of the car in front should there be an accident and it's clear cut the driver did it on purpose.
That kind of behaviour can cost haulage companies thousands of pounds. - Think about what happens to their cargo when they are forced to brake hard like that.

Some of these clips show the drivers inability to react to any kind of obvious hazard. Ploughing in the mistaken belief that they will be "in the right" regardless of the consequences.

Oh look these is a car about to pull out. I will keep going and he can stop. Crash !!!

Yes, I've not seen the footage since I posted it above but that is one overriding memory I have.

Not just the original part of the clip which was the reason I posted, either.

The giveaway is the sounding of horn whilst maintaining speed and direction until the crash.

Very odd!

Unlike with insurance scams... 'punitive brake testing' is meant to give the other driver a mild heart attack, while actually avoiding a crash.

The perpetrators assume they will be able to avoid an actual crash thanks to of their fine machine and their superior driving skills.

And the police probably don't take any action against 'punitive brake testers' as such, at least not based on dashcam evidence - because if they did, then I think we would see much less of it.

Well that's the thing, people assume by doing this that the vehicle behind will of course be able to stop or indeed will stop.

Although there is quite a common bit of dash cam footage of a red BMW Mini brake testing a vehicle and then launching forward as the vehicle behind didn't stop. Same goes for that red Civic that got punted forward by an HGV it deliberately brake tested! :wallbash:

That kind of behaviour can cost haulage companies thousands of pounds. - Think about what happens to their cargo when they are forced to brake hard like that.

I dread to think!

Thing is when you consider the physics of the situation. A 1-2 tonne car testing the brakes and reactions of a vehicle weighting tens of tonnes. It's such stupid act.

Don't get me wrong some HGV drivers are pigs, pulling out and expecting cars to just make way on the motorways etc. If you feel the need to express yourself then brake testing one of these lorries is not the way to go about it!

Thing is when you consider the physics of the situation. A 1-2 tonne car testing the brakes and reactions of a vehicle weighting tens of tonnes. It's such stupid act.
I couldn't agree more. - I've been rear-ended by a small box truck in the past (not due to brake checking), and it's not something I want to experience again.

By all means eff and blind at them to get it out of your system, then let it go. - Life is too short for road rage. :rock:

One of the previous videos in the series,has a hilarious section where a ML is waiting other than going though flood water and brave but stupid driver shouts "Charge!" and the ca meets its maker.

The understatement of the year? "I think I may have f*cked up a bit there!"

https://youtu.be/JwDaLeIKXuY?t=5m8s

By all means eff and blind at them to get it out of your system, then let it go. - Life is too short for road rage. :rock:

I mean don't me wrong, lorry drivers can be massively infuriating. Not due to their inability to pick up speed but the drivers often indicate and manoeuvre in such a way that you have to move out of their way. Very much as if the fact that they have to change gear a lot and it take time to build up speed is every other road users problem.

I only do about 7,000 miles a year of motorway driving and yet I see driving like that regularly.

Would I pull in front of a lorry and brake test them? No chance. If perhaps I caught the drivers eye, would I reference his hobby to be pleasuring himself alone, quite probably.

One Lorry driver did annoy me recently. The M4 in Wales was reduced to 1 lane in the HADECS covered area, and a lorry driver was trying to pressure me into going faster than an indicated 46mph (so about 44mph in reality) with 40mph on the camera laden gantries by sitting so close to my tail that I could smell what he had for tea.

On another occasion at J24A just after the Severn Bridge, I was already half way past a lorry when it decided to pull to the right to allow another lorry whose driver hadn't had the foresight to see that one lane disappears. I could see his face in his door mirror so if he had bothered to look, he would have seen me. My long hold on the horn (and bad language) woke my wife up as I got as far right as I could while accelerating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom