Strange Fault Defies Logic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DSLiverpool

MB Enthusiast
Car
Subaru Outback 3.0Rn
I have put a Sony head unit in the car it is a cd / tuner with bluetooth and it went straight in - however.

The radio is fine it plays perfectly if a bit poor on AM

The CD only plays through the mid / tweeters not the in door woofers

Its the R129 not the CLS I hasten to mention

Its either a faulty laser OR there is something I dont know

I have looked to see if there are separate output settings for the cd and tuner but cant see it

Anyone any idea ?

I think that because you are getting sound means that the unit itself is okay.

If the laser pickup were faulty nothing would be read off the disc.

So... I think the problem lies either in the wiring or.. have you got the bass setting on zero?

Maybe the woofers are blown. Check by wiring a AA size 1.5 volt battery across the speaker terminals momentarily and see if the cone moves and makes a noise.

Woofers fine as radio on FM is perfect

I have reset the 5100 bluetoth head unit to fac default still no joy

I have played with every sound setting

If the wiring / speakers were u/s the radio would not play perfectly I assume

Phone via bluetooth is 100% on both or either one of the fronts

Called the indie sony repair centre and he was stumped so its a drag of posting it to Preston and them posting it back

Never had a issue like this said the sony expert - ho hum

If you look in the MENU SECTION of the manual on page 20?? there are whole lot of settings there under Sound- several may be relevant to what you hear from the rear speakers.
fader
subwoofer
low pass filter
aux level

One more thing It says you are presented with different menu items depending on the source and setting. Perhaps you have to select the source first before changing the menu settings. i.e. setting the sound settings with the radio on only effects the radio sound You need to have selected or be playing the CD first before going into the menu to set the sound for the CD output??

If you look in the MENU SECTION of the manual on page 20?? there are whole lot of settings there under Sound- several may be relevant to what you hear from the rear speakers.
Totally agree - no rears on the R129 but i know the sound can be changed by bsource and thought initially I had set the cd to no bass somehow - by resetting the unit it goes back to vanilla and all works as one but it didnt cure it and on the cd if I cycle through the tone options it does change but the woofers are just not involved at all

This is really puzzling me BUT until I get it sent back to Sony I wont know

The pioneer in it prior to the sony worked fine

There is also an option somewhere that specifies that if a phone/bluetooth device is connected (i.e. a wired connection exists) the device doesn't need to be operational then there is a setting for which speakers the phone comes thro- unless this is overiding other settings??? try setting this to all speakers since default is thro the fronts only I think. Ok I'm clutching at straws here.:rolleyes:

Have done that - I feel Im a Sony menu expert lol - will update once received back from preston service centre

If the R129 is like mine it has a seperate amp for the door speakers - under the carpet in the passenger footwell.
(I bypassed my amp & wired the door speakers as rear & dash speakers as front.)
It might possibly be that the amp is turned on by a wire designed to power the electric aerial - & that isn't needed when the CD is playing - so when radio is on the amp is turned on - & not when CD is playing ??
hope that helps
Chris

Last edited:
Any news yet?

Hi Chris
The old pioneer boggo is back in and working fine and the sony has been sent back to the service agent in Preston - there is no reason the pioneer (aftermarket) unit would work and the sony wont that I can see, also the radio was ok and the cd AND phone were tweeters only - weird

Im sniffing around a new 2nd motor at the mo so may never find out what it was (I can only have 2 for myself so if I get a third the SL has to go)

Hi, i think Chris nailed the problem.
If i recall correctly sony have 2 remote wires, 1 aerial and 1 remote wire.
The pioneer has 1.
So if the amp is connected to the aerial wire it will work fine when the radio is working, when you switch to cd it will turn of the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom