Strange feeling at Speed Turning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Laters

Car
Honda CR-V
Strange feeling at Speed when Turning

Hi
I have had my 95 C200 sport for just under a month.
The car drove great when I got it but now at speed (over 40mph++) the car feels really strange when I turn into a corner. Almost feels unstable. It drives and feels ok at town speeds.
Ive checked the normal things of tyre pressure, condition. Cant feel any play in any bearing/ball joint/bush.
Ive also noticed that the car seems to be really badly affected by crosswinds on duel carridgeways (at 50mph) and the wierd feeling (???) when steering to correct for the wind is quite worrying. (almost feels like car sways slightly)

The 190E that the C replaced never showed any of the problems on the same road.
Any ideas??

Thanks
Paul

Last edited:
Quantum2+2 said:
Hi
I have had my 95 C200 sport for just under a month.
The car drove great when I got it but now at speed (over 40mph++) the car feels really strange when I turn into a corner. Almost feels unstable. It drives and feels ok at town speeds.
Ive checked the normal things of tyre pressure, condition. Cant feel any play in any bearing/ball joint/bush.
Ive also noticed that the car seems to be really badly affected by crosswinds on duel carridgeways (at 50mph) and the wierd feeling (???) when steering to correct for the wind is quite worrying. (almost feels like car sways slightly)

The 190E that the C replaced never showed any of the problems on the same road.
Any ideas??

Thanks
Paul

Have you had the Alignment checked mate???

Not to worry you but has it ever been involved in an accident???

Just had the tracking checked this afternoon and all was well.
No its never had a accident (I know all its history, ). It may have been driven hard by previous owners son.
I will jack it up and check the ball joints and bushes etc this weekend if the weathers good. It was a local mechanic that checked them for me (I was too busy working) so you knever know. :rolleyes:
It drove great for the first few weeks then all of a sudden started feeling weird. :confused:
Was curious as to if there was a known problem
Thanks

You could also check the steering damper, if thats on the way out, your steering will be a bit vague.

Have you checked that all the wheel bolts are tight?

Just a thought mate :)

Stu :cool:

sounds like your shocks are weak? how many miles has your car done?

probably worth getting the shocks changed if your car has done more than 80k

I have managed to have a quick look under the car today but not going to get to check anything today as its raining again :rolleyes: .
The car has 70k and the shocks feel fine (compared to my 84k 190E that I just sold).
The steering damper body looks to have a bit of wear (scrape marks on the body).
Is there a correct way of checking the steering damper?
All the bushes look intact from a visual inspection.
And yes all the wheels are tight. :D

Talk about blind :p :eek: :confused:
When her indoors took the C shopping a few weeks ago she ended up with a puncture and ended up getting the two rear tyres replaced (she didn't even tell me :crazy: )
I was using the quantum so didn't notice till I drove it then I noticed the weird feeling.
As I was crawling round this morning (in the rain) I noticed the new tyre's at the same time she says "OH BTW I had some new tyres fitted to the back of the car".
I swapped the front (worn) tyres to the front and put the rear (new) tyres on the front. I adjusted the pressures at the same time (all were within a pound or two)
The weird feeling at speed and the weird steering feeling has gone now.

Has anyone else found this problem with some tyres?
The new tyres are not a well known make. They are euromaster (sold by ATS).
The tyres that were on the front are worn-ish (3-4mm remaining) and are non matching (tread pattern) Federal.

Any Ideas?
As soon as ATS open on monday I am going down there to see what they have to say.

Quantum2+2 said:
Talk about blind :p :eek: :confused:
When her indoors took the C shopping a few weeks ago she ended up with a puncture and ended up getting the two rear tyres replaced (she didn't even tell me :crazy: )
I was using the quantum so didn't notice till I drove it then I noticed the weird feeling.
As I was crawling round this morning (in the rain) I noticed the new tyre's at the same time she says "OH BTW I had some new tyres fitted to the back of the car".
I swapped the front (worn) tyres to the front and put the rear (new) tyres on the front. I adjusted the pressures at the same time (all were within a pound or two)
The weird feeling at speed and the weird steering feeling has gone now.

Has anyone else found this problem with some tyres?
The new tyres are not a well known make. They are euromaster (sold by ATS).
The tyres that were on the front are worn-ish (3-4mm remaining) and are non matching (tread pattern) Federal.

Any Ideas?
As soon as ATS open on monday I am going down there to see what they have to say.

Having "Mixed Tyres" is never a good idea for road-holding as the Grip will be different. By the way "New Tyres" should ideally be on the back??? So sounds as if some new tyres all round will resolve your problems. :D

i agree with Brian, the tyres with the most tread should always go on the back.

i don't like mixing tyres on the same axle as i once had two different brands on the front and when i did an emergency brake the call pulled to the left,
and almost hit another car.

not sure about ATS own make tyres but my experience from Kwik fit is their own range tyres are usually crap, they usually try to sell them to those who
don't have much knowlege about tyres cos they make more commision on them.

try some online places to buy your tyres such as www.mytyres.co.uk
and just take them to a tyre place to get them fitted as they normally
work out cheaper.

Brian WH said:
Having "Mixed Tyres" is never a good idea for road-holding as the Grip will be different. By the way "New Tyres" should ideally be on the back??? So sounds as if some new tyres all round will resolve your problems. :D

I would have put 4 tyres on the car and would have picked a well known make. I am not getting 2 more of these Euromaster things as the car didn't feel safe at motorway speeds (untill I moved them to the front) due to the weird feeling (almost felt like the rear of the car is moving around (swaying)). I put that down to the steering as it just didn't feel right somehow.

Not too bothered on the handeling side of things too much as long as its predictable and safe. Anything is better than the old 190E I had with its wallowy suspention & nothing can compare to the "go-cart" feeling of the quantum. :D

Thanks
Paul

I put new NOKIAN tyres on my W124 estate and am well pleased with them, admittedly I don't tear around all the time.

seems a good price /performance ratio.

Steve

Finally got it all sorted out today.
ATS changed the tyres. Took quite a bit to convince them as they all kept saying shocks, springs etc. I held out (started quoting sale and supply of goods act) and they caved in.
I ended up getting a pair of pirelli p6000 and will get another pair when the tyres on the front want changing. (its got a pirrelli on the spare thats never been on)
Thanks for all the posts. :cool:

Paul :D

Hmm. ATS are a wholly owned subsidiary of Michelin, so not hard to work out where their "own brand" tyres come from.

Now there has been a lot of noise about the tyre industry being "eco friendly" recently and the big thing is retreads. Michelin did but some Finnish retread outfit a while back. Do you know if those nasty things were retreads?

They were new tyres not remoulds. or that is what they sold them as.
They told me when I was having them removed that the tyres were made by avon.
I suppose in the end I've ended up with the car feeling/driving ok again (thanks to the pirelli's) and know not to buy tyres there again (or at least not their brand)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom