Strange Gearbox Issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

artyman

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Kia E-Niro ex C 200 CDI Sport
Something odd happened last night dropped friend off and as I was turning to park there was a bit of a jerk. Drove out of friends side road onto a 30mph and the car stayed in low gear and wouldn't change up even with the paddles. Pulled over, stopped the engine, restarted and changes went back to normal.

Something odd happened last night dropped friend off and as I was turning to park there was a bit of a jerk. Drove out of friends side road onto a 30mph and the car stayed in low gear and wouldn't change up even with the paddles. Pulled over, stopped the engine, restarted and changes went back to normal.
Maybe worth getting codes read to see if anything stored ?

Sounds very much like the gearbox went into limp mode. Can be a sign of tcu beginning to fail. What gearbox and model car is it in. Tcu problems were most common on the early 7 speed boxes I believe.

It's a W204 with a five speed mated to a OM646, I've recently spent out on a new rear subframe, I don't really want anymore expense :confused:

To eliminate guess work , get code read like said above ,
When is last time you had transmission oil changed?
Old or incorrect level ATF causes issues as I experienced myself.
These transmissions are robust , somebody in this forum lost all his transmission oil through a leak , he thought game end,. Refilled it and it run again fine

Weak point is the conductor plate inside the transmission.... Not a massive job to change

The only times mine has stayed in low gear was when I had inadvertently knocked the gear lever over to the left into 1st gear in manual mode

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom