Strange networking problem - help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NormanB

Car
W210
This is a strange one and I would be gratefulfor any help.

The strangest thing is this whole outfit was working OK and has just started playing up and I cannot determine what precipitated the change.

At the heart of the network is a Linksys 160N router/modem. To keep it simple I will confine the description:

1. One PC - called Norman-PC.
2. Other PC - called ASUS.

When viewing the network from 'Norman-PC' I can see both computers 'Norman-PC' and 'ASUS' however when I click on ASUS to exploit the shared resources I get an error message:

ERROR CODE:
0X80070035

and when I click on DIAGNOSTICS:

Windows sent the request to the DNS server responded that the name was unknown

Check the spelling of the name, make sure the computer is turned on and connected to the network or contact your network administrator.

Nedless to say I am a bit stumped.

Have you manually configured any of the network cards? ie have you set an IP manually, or DNS manually??

Are they in the same workgroup?

Try it without firewalls, if it works you need to find the firewall setting for "network sharing".

Also have a read here

You wouldn't by any chance be running norton or norton360 would you?

If not any other 3rd party similar software?

Nah
1. Windows XP
2. AVG (free antivirus)
3. Zonealarm (free firewall)
4. No other 'trick' software.

Can you address the linksys router/modem from ASUS. Open your browser and type http:// 192.168.1.1 in the address line to see if you can address the router from the ASUS computer. You may need to input the username and password for the network to access any settings.

Several angles to be exploited here...

You are running windows XP on both systems? are both systems at the same service pack/patch level?

Has one of the two systems received any windows updates recently?

Secondly, can you run ipconfig /all on both systems from the command prompt and post the output here?

Thanks to you all and the last three posters specifically.
I will attempt to bottom this out tomorrow following advice posted above - I have to go out this evening so no time.

Check to make sure that Netbios over TCPIP is enabled on both machines.

I suggest uninstalling Zonealarm - you can reinstall it if it doesn't help. I've had instances where regardless of configuration Zonealarm and PC Tools Firewall have blocked stuff they're not meant to.

Windows Firewall is sufficient if you're behind NAT.

Hi i have been doing lots of networks lately and the biggest problem i seemed to have was with windows and the sheer amount of updates out there . I got a bit of software called network magic and all it ever came up with was update your software and when i did it all worked fine ..

I suggest uninstalling Zonealarm - you can reinstall it if it doesn't help. I've had instances where regardless of configuration Zonealarm and PC Tools Firewall have blocked stuff they're not meant to.

Windows Firewall is sufficient if you're behind NAT.

Aye this is my current guess too.

Uninstalled zone alarm - it all works as it should.
Strange that it would not work with ZA just shut down - oh well the more I learn about PCs the more I realise I know nowt!

Thanks to all for taking the time to respond to my plea and congratz to those who picked up on the solution.:bannana:

ZA hasn't been right since a windows update a few months ago - I got a lot of calls in one day with "the internet is broken" being the sum total of the description.

Don't know if it makes any difference but my Asus netbook runs on linux but it still connects to my wireless network using the password.

Last edited:
You cannot help but wonder if Micro$oft is not up to a tad of skullduggery to freeze out ZA.

nope... ZA is just a rubbish product. I've been yelling about it for a few years now.

Its not uncommon for ZA to permanently trash a PC requiring a total rebuild. Count yourself lucky this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom