Strange Noise W203 C Class 2006

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Eee21

Car
ML250 bluetec AMG 2014
Hi all I am after some help please. My mum has a C200 Auto Kompressor W203 model on a 2006. From a stand still only, it makes an odd clicking ratchet sort of sound that appears to be coming from under the gearstick area. From a stand still to about 10mph under full acceleration then goes. So pulling out of a junction and the likes you will here it. Any help would be great Thanks

Are you sure it's not coming from the front of the engine?

These M271 engines are known for timing gear failure.

...otherwise it could be a loose parking brake cable knocking against the prop shaft.
I'm not 100% but sounds like its coming from there. How would I check the parking break cable for a non mechanic, or is it a garage job ?

I'm not 100% but sounds like its coming from there. How would I check the parking break cable for a non mechanic, or is it a garage job ?
Well you'll need to get under the car.... do you have a pair of axle stands, or access to a lift?

Jack your car up or if you cant, go to a tyre place and ask them to check your tyres and look at the underneath of your car. As markjay said earlier. Its your handbrake cable going down centre of under the car and being slapped by the propshaft turning. The clips that hold it up just go brittle with weather and break then the cable droops down causing this noise. It done my head in for months until I had enough and actually got the guys at tyre fitting place to give me a few minutes at it myself which thankfully they did and I cable tied the cable up out of the way. Noise gone, mission accomplished. Funnily enough after that I was so delighted to have a quiet smooth car for like 4/5 months THEN a stepper motor for A/C broke behind dash and now gives an even louder clicking for about 2 minutes when I start the car. I thought my days of little annoying noises were gone when I sold my last VW......

I believe if it slips one tooth the light will come on.

Thank a lot for all your help on this. If the park cable was hitting on the prop, would it not do it all the time constant ?, as it is just first few seconds under hard acceleration only. When you set off slow there is no noise ?
Theres no engine warning lights on.

It typically does it, as per your description. The cable is is now loose so will be unpredictable in its swing and Mum’s driving style. On mine (currently doing this) it sounds quiet metallic at times, more than others.

Should you wish to practise on my C55 feel free. It’s the third Mercedes I have had that has done this.

Try finding a high walled lane > Windows Down > Drive away in your usual style. You should here it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a quick look under the front but just a big black plastic cover. Roughly we do I look and what do I need to remove to see the if the cable is loose. ?

I had a quick look under the front but just a big black plastic cover. Roughly we do I look and what do I need to remove to see the if the cable is loose. ?

Safety first at all times here.

If possible, you want the car on a ramp and then head for the transmission/drive train tunnel. Look for the handbrake cable being obviously loose. Or for scaling marks created by the cable on the prop or rear drive shafts.

Doing this on the ground gets dirty and wet. There is no room and jacks are never safe for this. Your local Independent might do it for a drink or charity donation. On a ramp it’s a two minute look see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom