Strange noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wd40

Hi all

I have 3 weeks warranty left, so would appreciate any thoughts on the following noise....

The noise only occurs (and I can pretty much make it occur) at around 1100-1200 rpm. It's on an auto box (E320 CDI my2000).

It sounds like a metalic vibration, though medium rather than high pitched, I would liken it to wind blowing through a spring (but I'm odd).

It is most noticeable when driving slowly and really just tickling the gas pedal slightly. the vibration will stop once past that rev range and will only start when it gets to it.

It doesn't seem to happen if accelerating (maybe as it passes that rev range quickly) and it will do it (though not as noticeably) if the vehicle is parked and in neutral.

It will also do it when passing down through the rev range, e.g. if I accelerate to say 40 or 50 and take foot off the gas, leaving the revs to fall.

Could this be torque convertor? or is this unlikely to be as it will happen when my foot is off the gas with revs dropping.

Exhaust maybe?

Your thoughts appreciated.

Exhaust baffle in silencer or exhaust bracket touching/loose?????

I'm hoping the exhaust related one.

It sounds like it is coming from the rear left (nearside) of the vehicle.

I could do with finding somewhere that will diagnose it for free, then getting it done under warranty, though that's an 80 mile drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom