Strange Noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

djcheung

Car
W211 E320 CDI
I have noticed there are some noise from behind or underneath the dashboard. It is like a pulsating kind of rapid clicking noise and it gets louder when under load.

When driving slowly in traffic, there is a slight clonking noise from the transmission whenever the gear is changed and when accelerate and decelerate. This is most noticeable when in slow speed - 5-15 mph.

Anybody has similar problems?

98' E240 Elegance

turn your climate control/fans of and tell me if you still hear the noise.

Hi Koolvin,

The EC is off most of the time and the noise is there all the time regardless whether it's on or not.
It sounds like there is a play in the gears.
I did ask the dealer to have a look but they just say this is due to normal wear and tear. Does this sound resonable?

it could be the front lower control arm bushing, (common fault on the W202 as I have found out from the american forums)

or it could be the engine mounts! (but I doubt that)

get it checked out by another garage...

Hi Koolvin,

Last night when I was driving home from work, I have noticed that when I turn the steering wheel 90 degreee to the left from straight, the strange noise from the pedal area disappeared. It returned as soon as the steering wheel was straight again.
Could this be anything to do with the steering components?
I want to arm myself with more knowledge before I take it to the dealer as they would always say they can't find any problem or it is normal.
I know it is not normal as it has only started recently about two months ago.

Any ideas?

Visited the dealer last night and had one of their mechanics sat in the car with me to listen to this noise.
Within seconds he said it is either the steering rack or the pump. But it is not bad enough yet for them to replace it under warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom