Strange Noises

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

l5foye

Car
ML 300CDI
This is not MB related but any help would be appreciated. It concerns my wife's Ford Fiesta. While it is sitting, it makes noises akin to hot engine cooling down, except the car has been sitting unused for a few days. I would understand it if it made the noise after it had been raced, but no, the car hasn't been moved.
It is quite spooky. The car used to be parked outside the bedroom window but because of the noises,
it has had to be moved away.

Well my thought is that this may well be the cars suspension,you park it outside and it might be the wind causing the car to creak,maybe get the springs or suspension arms greased top and bottom,it will not hurt anything and may cure the ticking

Jack the car up off its wheels one night, if you don't have the means to get all 4 wheels off the ground at the same time just jack up the front then rear in turn. And listen again.

P.S do not read 'Christine' by Steven King.

Most likely candidate would expansion and contraction noises as something in the car moves with changes in temperature day/night which would suggests something loose which shouldn't be. Best candidate would be a broken spring. Other off the wall possibility is that "varmits" have taken up residence [ usually in the engine compartment for heat and later thro habit in the expectation of heat]

What time of day?
The reason I ask is on a really cold frosty morning, when the sun hits my car on the drive and the frost starts to melt mine does the same

Again there may be nothing wrong but body construction with materials with two different coefficients of expansion. Obvious candidates whould be plastic and metal body parts such a wings doors trim and bumpers but one that comes to mind would be any bonded in glass such as a windscreen which has been improperly fitted for repair or from factory. Has it ever been renewed?

^^^^ Just reminded me of a mate of mine who had a Volvo that used to 'click' now and again, both when stationary and driving.

It was the windshield that had been replaced before he bought the car.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Looks like I have some checking to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom