Strange rattling/tapping sound from 97' C240

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jit C240

Car
W202 C240
Evening All,

In the last few days there has been a strange rattling/tapping sound from the engine.

I had a quick look under the hood and noticed the sound was coming from one of the pulleys. It was the first pulley on the top right of the engine. Just under the engine cover, which was rattling and making quite a racket! (Sorry for the lack of description I am not good with engines)

The car has covered 110,000 miles.

What could this be? What is the cause?

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

The pulleys that normally give problems on those are the Polybelt Tensioner/pulley and the Crankshaft pulley ( rubber damper comes away and the pulley rubs on the timing cover ) :thumb:

Thank you Justin1600.

Any idea on how costly the repair will be? Am I damaging the engine by driving the car with this issue?

Thank you.

Thank you Justin1600.

Any idea on how costly the repair will be? Am I damaging the engine by driving the car with this issue?

Thank you.

If it is the crankshaft pulley ( which is the big one at the very bottom ) then you should not drive the car as it will be wearing a groove in the timing cover. If it wears right through then oil will leak from it and is a expensive job to put right. Engine sump off and front of the engine to be stripped and a new timing cover :(
If it is the tensioner, then approx £180 for a new one plus fitting and car can be driven for a while until you get it done :thumb:

I dont think its the Crankshaft pulley, as its not the big one at the bottom. It's the one right at the very top on the right hand side which is making the noise.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom