Strange results with Reverse Camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DavidHaines

Car
Vito 111 long
Hi All i have an issue that i cant solve with a retro fitted reverse camera.

Fitted and connected to reverse light, Its a wireless system so transmits a signal to the receiver at the head unit. All works well except when the main lights are on

Fine without lights on but at either side or main lights on - signal drops and screen goes blank.

Any Thoughts

Hi All i have an issue that i cant solve with a retro fitted reverse camera.

Fitted and connected to reverse light, Its a wireless system so transmits a signal to the receiver at the head unit. All works well except when the main lights are on

Fine without lights on but at either side or main lights on - signal drops and screen goes blank.

Any Thoughts

Which head unit do you have in the Vito? Audio20? COMAND?

Can you put a MM in series with the supply to the camera and see what happens to the voltage reading without the lights then with the lights switched on.

When i fitted my camera i had to take a "clean" supply via a relay to power the camera as the picture was fine until i started the engine , at which point the picture was all over the place.

K

Which head unit do you have in the Vito? Audio20? COMAND?
It was the Audio 10 but now a cheap Chinese double din however this is not related as previously i had the camera wired to a separate screen and had the same issue with that. - I love the double din unit by the way £30 and does everything its supposed to

Can you put a MM in series with the supply to the camera and see what happens to the voltage reading without the lights then with the lights switched on.

When i fitted my camera i had to take a "clean" supply via a relay to power the camera as the picture was fine until i started the engine , at which point the picture was all over the place.

K
good point it seems the obvious issue but assuming i get a drop how would you go about regulating it or boosting it ?

good point it seems the obvious issue but assuming i get a drop how would you go about regulating it or boosting it ?

As Alfie says , use a relay to get a clean / steady 12v supply as they are cheap as chips from Halfords.

K

Reactions: GLK
Agree with whats said, I had the exact same problem, the Light circuit isnt a clean 12V and causes issues, I used it to power a relay and fed a 12V feed from the aux/lighter socket through the relay to the camera. Works a treat.

I have no problems with my reverse cam being powered from a reverse light. It isn't wireless though.
Are you possibly suffering RF interference?
On a 111 is there LED rear lights, I think you have the 447 but not sure. The LED's may be the issue either at the TX end or the dash electronics at the dash RX end.

Consider running a fixed wire system.

Assuming your camera is mounted inside your other problem may well be reflection from the inside of the screen affecting your image. I mounted mine outside.

The reverse light 12v supply is unstable, when fitting mine all the fitting guides I read advised against using this as you will get issues. Use a piggyback such as the one in this link and your issues will hopefully be solved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom