Strange thing happened today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bluestreak

Car
2015 E63
My s212 e63 threw a wobbly today. There was suddenly quite a lot of vibration thru the drivetrain under medium acceleration. Engine light has come on. I pulled over, stopped the engine and before calling recovery I decided to start it up again and check under the bonnet for anything obvious. Engine started ok, vibration has gone and so did the engine light.

Does this problem sound familiar to anybody? Can this be software glitch?

Following this incident we decided to go back home, which was about 10 miles. The problem has never reoccurred. I'm now reluctant to drive the car again before this issue is understood. Any ideas?

You'll need to get the stored fault codes read to get any idea of what the cause of the problem was / is.

thanks a lot gents, i have to add that car is at 12k miles.

Phil, Is there DIY method to check for error codes? Car is booked in, but that's three weeks away :( Fingers crossed somebody can check them out tomorrow at Benz on the green.

Crankshaft position sensor error symptoms sound very similar to what happened today, thanks Steve! I hope this is it and it'll be replaced under warranty.

Is coil pack issue a known problem on these engines?

Car is booked in, but that's three weeks away :( Fingers crossed somebody can check them out tomorrow at Benz on the green.

The Benz on the Green GTG isn't until Sat 13th May:dk:

Got to say I have had two crank sensors fail and neither gave the same symptoms as you describe. Engine simply fails to start when hot and when cooled down will start again.
A coil pack is a possibility but I would have thought a constant fault and not one that would disappear when restarting.

As Phil mentioned, the stored fault code should point to the problem.

I see you are based in London. I would give Terry at Wayne Gates a call and see if he could take a look instead of waiting 3 weeks. He is Harrow.

Wayne Gates Specializing in Mercedes Benz

The Benz on the Green GTG isn't until Sat 13th May:dk:

What was i thinking :dk:

Very helpful to know there is a good garage in harrow, i'll give them a call on Monday.

My s212 e63 threw a wobbly today. There was suddenly quite a lot of vibration thru the drivetrain under medium acceleration. Engine light has come on. I pulled over, stopped the engine and before calling recovery I decided to start it up again and check under the bonnet for anything obvious. Engine started ok, vibration has gone and so did the engine light.

Following this incident we decided to go back home, which was about 10 miles. The problem has never reoccurred. I'm now reluctant to drive the car again before this issue is understood. Any ideas?

Yes, I have had this happen.
In my CL63 (Same Engine) it was indeed a Knock Sensor that had a fit (according to the dealership when they looked at the fault codes).
Happened when I went to overtake someone so it was not the best time to happen. It happened twice and never repeated itself ever..
The dealership said these sensors are so over sensitive sometimes and it shut down a complete "bank" of cylinders, hence the really rough running for a while.

Just like you, stopped the car.. restarted it and it was fine.

But what do I know, thats what the dealership said.
I could have run over someone I guess..

Yes, I have had this happen.
In my CL63 (Same Engine) it was indeed a Knock Sensor that had a fit (according to the dealership when they looked at the fault codes).
Happened when I went to overtake someone so it was not the best time to happen. It happened twice and never repeated itself ever..
The dealership said these sensors are so over sensitive sometimes and it shut down a complete "bank" of cylinders, hence the really rough running for a while.

Just like you, stopped the car.. restarted it and it was fine.

But what do I know, thats what the dealership said.
I could have run over someone I guess..

That is unfortunate. At least I wasn't in opposite lane when this happened. Did they end up replacing the sensor?

Exact same thing happened to me a few times, code was mis-fire in one of the cyls. After coil packs swapped around and symptoms reappeared, was diagnosed as a faulty injector. Now replaced,and no reoccurrence...

Finally had car on xentry today and it was knock sensor after all.

Dealer made a thing out of giving me xentry report printout. What are they hiding exactly?

They did xentry printout and service person quickly went over paragraph highlighting "ticks" against each. It is over 10 pages of details on various systems and I wanted to keep this paper so I could spend longer than 60 seconds with these. Service guy refused and said that it is against their rules. Question really is if this normal response and if it is at all possible to get hold of such printout for my own car?

If you paid for diagnosis, you are entitled to the printout.

If it was done under warranty, then they will usually be very tight fisted with any documentation.

(I managed on previous occasions to get a friendly receptionist to photocopy the internal job sheet etc for me, but officially they give you nothing other than "We got it all sorted for you, Sir".

It was under warranty and this is exactly what happened. Thank you for explaining!

Similar but irrelevant but I had to call out MB Assist this morning, EML light and reduced performance.

Guy came out and reset, but if it does need to go to a garage he said they are normally fast tracked through. Cant comment obviously as car was sorted in the office car park.

J

Spend 100 quid on an MBII, it'll be worth it especially if you are going to keep the car for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom