Strength of Character

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glojo

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 Sprinter 213CDI, & the new T-class
I have just been having a chat with my brother and thought I would share part of our conversation.

Before returning to New Zealand my brother met up with an old friend who unfortunately lost his sight whilst in the Army. For a laugh they went ten pin bowling:eek: :) Yup ten pin bowling with a blind person. The crazy thing was my brother got beat! Things went down hill when thy got barred from a pub when my brother's friend lucked out whilst playing darts. Totally, 100% blind and throwing pointed metal sticks in a pub did not go down to well. :D

They then got talking and the funniest thing that came out of a remarkable conversation was when the wife of this person stated they had received a letter that was addressed to next door. My brother's friend took it next door and explained they had received it by mistake. The neighbour then asked how on earth he knew the letter was not his?
:D :devil: My guide dog reads the mail and dragged me round here! :) For the next twenty minutes or so this person was explaining to his neighbour how he had trained his dog to read letters.

Nearly forgot,
A financial advisor from the bank came round to give advise about his affairs, they asked the usual questions including various insurance policies. The embarrassing moment came when the advisor asked what company this person used to insure his car!:rolleyes: The reply was a classic,

"I get a good deal with the Royal National Institute For The Blind"

What an unbelievable character, my brother was humbled by how this man has coped with such a divesting injury and has managed to treat it with disdain. Evidently a sliver of metal penetrated one eye and the other shut-down a few days later. Nothing wrong with it at all, it just shut-down.

These are the brave folks that deserve MBE's, CBE's or knighthoods, these are the people that have my respect and admiration, not celebrities that are paid to entertain and then get these so called honours.

I thought I would share this conversation as it made me realise just how lucky we are.
Have a happy New Year and don't over do the celebrations :bannana: :devil:

Yours sincerely
John

If you want another excellent example look at Alex Zanardi. Lost both his legs in a racing accident but came back to race again and to complete the "missing laps" in the race that nearly killed him

An inspirational man in every way

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Thanks for posting that John.

It just makes you feel good reading stories like that, just shows how strong some peoples characters are, and your right about the MBE's etc, people like that deserve them not overpaid actors and sportsmen.

Many good people get recognised in the honours lists
Hi Robert,
It would be petty to say that all these awards are wrong but having just scrolled through the list you kindly posted it is evident that the huge, huge, huge (three huge's :D ) majority are indeed going to people that are doing their job and that to me is not what it should be about. These awards should be going to unpaid volunteers that are doing things in their own time. I would have no problem with Kylie what's it getting an award if it was not connected with her acting or singing abilities, likewise all the other folks, particularly those in the civil or public service. Staff at the Prime Minister's Office and those that serve the Royal family appear to be overly mentioned??

There are any number of these members of staff being awarded and I have just highlighted two.

Emma Elizabeth Jane, Mrs. Stuart, Assistant Bibliographer, Royal Library.

Elisabeth Mabel, Mrs. McInnes, formerly Flower Arranger, Palace of Holyroodhouse.

No doubt these folks have been loyal and dedicated, but to give a public honour just seems so wrong. I supose I get so passionate because I once nominated someone. This person worked full time in a laundry, but for twenty years he gave up his week-ends to take the old folks out at a local retirement home, plus Wednesday evenings he would play the organ for them to have an old fashioned sing along. The nomination was considered but not considered worthy?? No doubt if he had been a celebrity doing this exact thing he would have been knighted years ago.

Regards
John the ranter​

love the one for the bee keeper - 'service to bee keeping' lol!!
:rolleyes:

ah! there are two - another chap got a gong for services to bee keeping in northern ireland.
Thats nice.

As an Ex forces guy myself, I could give you 100 names that should be in front of most of this (and any other) years nominations,
but all of them (the 100) were "just doing their job".
Speaking to a very good friend of mine who is now through injury not as active as he would wish, explained he would not accept the award anyway,

his view on it is it is not for the likes of us, but is for the brown tongues and slaves of the system rather than the protectors and the saviors.

He is very philosophical about it though, and still is a Royalist to the core.

From what I read there seems to be a parallel with the U.S. import "Employee of the Year" award which brings so much resentment to many workplaces nowadays!

Any suggestions for funny alternative titles welcomed. :devil:

(to 'console' someone who didn't win it last year) :D

I hate the awards on TV where actors vote for each other, in my eyes its almost the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom