Strike a chord with anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alfie

Authorised Forum Sponsor
SUPPORTER
Car
W169 A, W205 C, R172 SLC, W447 vantastic
One word....... CRACKERJACK !

Us old 'uns
According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were
kids in the 60's, 70's and early 80's probably shouldn't have
survived, because our baby cots were covered with brightly coloured
lead-based paint which was promptly chewed and licked. We had no
childproof lids on medicine bottles, or latches on doors or cabinets
and it was fine to play with pans.

When we rode our bikes, we wore no helmets, just flip-flops and
fluorescent 'spokey dokey's' on our wheels As children, we would ride
in cars with no seat belts or airbags - riding in the passenger seat
was a treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle and it
tasted the same. We ate chips, bread and butter pudding and drank
fizzy juice with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we
were always outside playing. We shared one drink with four friends,
from one bottle or can and no-one actually died from this. We would
spend hours building go-carts out of scraps and then went top-speed
down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes.

After running into stinging nettles a few times, we learned to solve
the
problem.
We would leave home in the morning and could play all day, as long as
we
were back before it got dark. No one was able to reach us and no one
minded.
We did not have Play stations or X-Boxes, no video games at all. No 99
channels on TV, no videotape movies, no surround sound, no mobile
phones, no
personal computers, no DVDs, no Internet chat rooms.

We had friends - we went outside and found them.
We played elastics and rounders, and sometimes that ball really hurt!
We fell out of trees, got cut, and broke bones but there were no law
suits.
We had full on fist fights but no prosecution followed from other
parents.
We played chap-the-door-run-away and were actually afraid of the owners
catching us.
We walked to friends' homes.
We also, believe it or not, WALKED to school; we didn't rely on mummy
or
daddy to drive us to school, which was just round the corner.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls. We rode bikes in packs
of 7
and wore our coats by only the hood.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard
of...They
actually sided with the law.
This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers and problem
solvers and inventors, ever. The past 50 years have been an explosion
of
innovation and new ideas.
We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how
to
deal with it all.
And you're one of them. Congratulations!
Pass this on to others who have had the luck to grow as real kids,
before
lawyers and government regulated our lives, for our own good.
For those of you who aren't old enough, thought you might like to read
about
us.

This my friends, is surprisingly frightening......and it might put a
smile
on your face: The majority of students in universities today were born
in
1986........They are called youth.
They have never heard of We are the World, We are the children, and the
Uptown Girl they know is by Westlife not Billy Joel. They have never
heard
of Rick Astley, Bananarama, Nena Cherry or Belinda Carlisle.
For them, there has always been only one Germany and one Vietnam.
AIDS has existed since they were born.
CD's have existed since they were born.
Michael Jackson has always been white.
To them John Travolta has always been round in shape and they can't
imagine
how this fat guy could be a god of dance.
They believe that Charlie's Angels and Mission Impossible are Films
from
last year.
They can never imagine life before computers.
They'll never have pretended to be the A Team, RedHand Gang or the
Famous
Five.
They'll never have applied to be on Jim'll Fix It or Why Don't You.
They can't believe a black and white television ever existed. And they
will
never understand how we could leave the house without a mobile phone.
Now let's check if we're getting old...
1. You understand what was written above and you smile.
2. You need to sleep more, usually until the afternoon, after a
night out.
3. Your friends are getting married/already married.
4. You are always surprised to see small children playing
comfortably with
computers.
5. When you see teenagers with mobile phones, you shake your head.
6. You remember watching Dirty Den in EastEnders the first time
around
7. You meet your friends from time to time, talking about the
good Old days,
repeating again all the funny things you have experienced together.
8. Having read this mail, you are thinking of forwarding it to
some other
friends because you think they will like it too...

Yes, you're getting old!!!

Very true, i think i'm probably one of the last of the generation that this applies to.... i was born in 74.

I do all of the things mentioned at the end, and i have no worries about it either.

I'm not worried about getting old. ;)

ooooooh - those were the days :D I loved the school holidays - would leave the house on the morning and get home sometime later in the day having toured round all or friends. Parents never had a clue where we were - but they knew we were safe.

Very poignant for me as this week I was at my cousin's funeral :( it was very sad and traumatic - but one of the things we did in church was all remember something about him. I remember in our younger days how we would leave my folks' house - walk a good mile or so to a den we had made in some woods and play there all day. We'd have been 8 or 9 at the time. At aged 5 I used to walk to school on my own.

But to buck the trend - my boy has taken to walking home from school with a friend - 2 1/5 miles!! and he loves it! so they're not all lazy or mollycoddled ;) and yes he does have all the trappings - but I do often wonder if they'll have the memories we do :rolleyes:

Does B.C. now stand for Before Computers? Ceratinly ancient history!

Quantum2+2 said:
CRACKERJACK
:eek: God I feel OLD now :eek:
Someone pass me my zimmer frame :D :devil:

If you drop it you'll get a cabbage. :D

Only followers of Crackerjack will know that three items dropped meant three cabbages and three cabbages saw you disqualified!

Regards,
John

I think the education of youth and what they are aware of is the responsibility of the parents. let me give a couple of examples.

Ask our 8 year old who sang Uptown Girl, he would say Billy Joel, he'd fetch the Billy Joel Greatest hits CD out of his bedroom and tell you that although it's a great song it's not his favourite because that's We didn't start the fire.

He's heard of rick astley (he thinks he's gay :)), Bananarama (seriously cool because Walk like an egyptian is the best), Neneh Cherry and Belinda Calisle because they appear on albums he's either asked for or had given to him.

Wars, are part of history and he knows as much about them as any 8 year old needs to (it helps that his uncle is a complete war memorabilia anorak) and regularly goes to military and historic vehicle shows.

John travolta could dance? hee hee even I'm struggling to reconcile that one.

Of course they are unaware of TV programs in the same way you me and every other child in history has been blissfully ignorant of all that precedes them.

Kids only know what their parents or schools teach them, it's no good moaning that your children know nothing yet you sit them down in front of the television of an evening because you want some spare time. Nothing children say or do surpises me in fact each time our kids try something new and succeed I am immensely proud because they could never have achieved it without help from us.

My father taught me that the two most important questions I could ask were"HOW?" and "WHY?" we've told our kids the same and we answer every question they ask as honestly as their ages permit - the quest for knowledge is important and should be encouraged from the moment they are born

The problem with kids these days isn't a problem with kids it's a problem with the adults and you can't ecpect anybody to know anything if you never teach them.

Your article made really interesting reading though, the parents amongst us should take time to listen to The Cat's in The Cradle by Harry Chapin (or for the younger ones by Ugly Kid Joe) at least once a month or every time we find ourselves saying "I'll do it later" to the kids.

What am I doing with our kids this evening? When they've had a bath I'm going back to trying to teach them how to fly a radio controlled helicopter in the lounge - brave, stupid and it's inevitably going to result in something getting broken but we will have had some fun and tomorrow morning we can spend some time repairing the damage :)

Andy

Nice post Andy,I hope you don't wreck your lounge, Just a quick point Bananarama didn't sing walk like an Egyptian it was the Bangles. ;)

Last edited:
pepper&boulou said:
Nice post Andy,I hope you don't wreck your lounge, Just a quick point Bananarama didn't sing walk like an Egyptian it was the Bangles. ;)

sorry - yep, I meant to correct that - my mistake has already been pointed out to me the song he likes by banarama is robert De Niro's waiting :) but walk like an egyptian is still "way cool".

The lounge survived the ordeal but the helicopter suffered minor damage - nothing serious and it's flying again :)

Andy

Alfie said:
One word....... CRACKERJACK !

Weird or what? I have just been reading our local paper and in big headlines on page fifteen.

Crackerjack creator who cracked it for Crowther

Now all us aficionados know that Eamon Andrews hosted Crackerjack years before Leslie Crowther replaced him so I just had to read on.

Sadly it was all about the passing away of the man ""Who thought up cult children's TV programme Crackerjack""
John Downes aged 84yrs has passed away this week at his home in Staverton.

What a weird coincidence. I do not suppose any of us have given a second thought about this programme for many years. Now in the space of a couple of days it has been mentioned twice!

Regards to all,
John

Really enjoyed reading that Alfie.

I must admit, Andy is probably right. The children of today are not genetically different to, say, fifty years ago (well not "significantly"! :rolleyes: )

They are different today, as has been said, because of the way they are brought up.
Obviously certain things will change, such as war, inventions etc etc, but the basic principles that should remain are gradually disappearing in front of eyes.

I feel strange that I am analysing in this way as I am only 22 myself! :eek:

Makes you feel kind of weird when you have noticed significant changes that have occurred in, say, the last 10 years!

As an example, I remember hearing about how 'In America' some idiot bought coffee from a 'Mccy-D's and proceeded to take it away with him. Whilst drinking the coffee - he spilt it on his lap and proceeded to sue McDonalds for his scalded leg! Now every cup contains a disclaimer along the lines of 'Caution - item is hot' - wtf, I would be bloody annoyed if the coffee served was cold! :rolleyes:

Today you can sue just about anyone for just about anything. I hope McDonalds don't try and sue me, or the person concerned reads this and sues me for ridiculing them in public! ;)

I really hate this 'Everyone cover your back' type strategy that is so apparant today. Disclaimers everywhere that get in the way of the task or object in hand, 'just in case'. Nannying the whole world and ruining the values that humans should hold.

Oh, and glad Andy's helecopter didn't cause any real damage. Now just think what could have happened if it had hurt one of the kids.....

Cheers,

Will

Will said:
Oh, and glad Andy's helecopter didn't cause any real damage. Now just think what could have happened if it had hurt one of the kids.....

they'd probably try and get grandad to sue me on a no win no fee basis :)

actually if I didn't think they were sensible enough to be playing with my toys (under strict supervision) I wouldn't let them - also I must point out that we were playing with an "indoor" electric helicopter not an internal combustion one

Andy

Started off a very interesting thread, read all of it twice and ......well not one mention of when we beat the Germans :eek: , well only half of them, in the 1966 football world cup final :D

good call Geoff - I was at my cousin's wedding that day, aged 7, listening to the cup final on a transistor radio in my Dad's car and relaying the results into the village hall where the reception was being held :)

No talk either of men on the moon or Concorde's first and last flight - there will be a whole generation that grows up never having experienced commercial supersonic travel or the pride that our generation felt every time Concorde flew overhead.

Andy

Last edited:
Talking of Crackerjack presenters, does anyone remember the exremly camp presenter, Stu Francis??? "Oooh, i could crush a grape"!!!!! :D LOL

andy_k said:
or the pride that our generation felt every time Concorde flew overhead.

:D :D I have been fishing in the English channel directly underneath where Concorde went through the sound barrier!!!!! Pride does not quite describe that.... 'brown trouser' type moment when you are convinced a warship has just fired its gun at you from point blank range.

A truly brilliant aircraft though and sadly missed. Although our double glazing no longer rattles twice a day whenever Concorde was going through the sound barrier many, many miles out to sea.

John

Strike a cord with anyone

andy_k said:
good call Geoff - I was at my cousin's wedding that day, aged 7, listening to the cup final on a transistor radio in my Dad's car and relaying the results into the village hall where the reception was being held :)

No talk either of men on the moon or Concorde's first and last flight - there will be a whole generation that grows up never having experienced commercial supersonic travel or the pride that our generation felt every time Concorde flew overhead.

Pigging hell Andy,now you ARE bringing back memories, i was driving to Lymm in Cheshire in a 105e Ford Anglia ( Dagenham Dustbin) and i passed the English teams training camp, they were all standing outside,boy that was a long time ago. Funny the things that stick in mind, innit

andy_k said:
I think the education of youth and what they are aware of is the responsibility of the parents. let me give a couple of examples.

Ask our 8 year old who sang Uptown Girl, he would say Billy Joel, he'd fetch the Billy Joel Greatest hits CD out of his bedroom and tell you that although it's a great song it's not his favourite because that's We didn't start the fire.

He's heard of rick astley (he thinks he's gay :)), Bananarama (seriously cool because Walk like an egyptian is the best), Neneh Cherry and Belinda Calisle because they appear on albums he's either asked for or had given to him.

Wars, are part of history and he knows as much about them as any 8 year old needs to (it helps that his uncle is a complete war memorabilia anorak) and regularly goes to military and historic vehicle shows.

John travolta could dance? hee hee even I'm struggling to reconcile that one.

Of course they are unaware of TV programs in the same way you me and every other child in history has been blissfully ignorant of all that precedes them.

Kids only know what their parents or schools teach them, it's no good moaning that your children know nothing yet you sit them down in front of the television of an evening because you want some spare time. Nothing children say or do surpises me in fact each time our kids try something new and succeed I am immensely proud because they could never have achieved it without help from us.

My father taught me that the two most important questions I could ask were"HOW?" and "WHY?" we've told our kids the same and we answer every question they ask as honestly as their ages permit - the quest for knowledge is important and should be encouraged from the moment they are born

The problem with kids these days isn't a problem with kids it's a problem with the adults and you can't ecpect anybody to know anything if you never teach them.

Your article made really interesting reading though, the parents amongst us should take time to listen to The Cat's in The Cradle by Harry Chapin (or for the younger ones by Ugly Kid Joe) at least once a month or every time we find ourselves saying "I'll do it later" to the kids.

What am I doing with our kids this evening? When they've had a bath I'm going back to trying to teach them how to fly a radio controlled helicopter in the lounge - brave, stupid and it's inevitably going to result in something getting broken but we will have had some fun and tomorrow morning we can spend some time repairing the damage :)

Andy

One of the most sensible posts I've read from you. Nice one.

Now if you want to talk about a programme it has to be TISWAS, the ultimate time with dad on the sofa watching telly with the kids, now i wonder why that could have been? all i can say is as my dad would have said, " she's got legs all the way up to her bum". I don't mean to be sexist, but then i hadnt a clue what he meant, but know when I understand, what does my son watch ........... cartoons, or PowerRangers, or some other twadle imported from the USA. Bring back TISWAS!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom