Strimmer Help Required Please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Folks

I have a fantastic (very old) Husqvarna 244-RX, 2-stroke, Straight Pole Brush Cutter/Strimmer.

I always used a solid billet alluminium head. This allowed for x2 lengths of strimmer line to be inserted in a X pattern. Now I want to install a Brush Cutter Blade.

Unscrewing the Strimmer Head I am presented with a smooth flat disc cover. through which the shaft for attaching the head/blade etc protrudes. On this flat surface, sits a plastic washer. Do I just sit the blade over the shaft (there are no spline holes in the blade) and bolt up using the "blade cup" and left hand locking nut? or should there be a locating washer/ woodruff-key arrangement to stop the blade slipping between the flat and the cup?

I am thinking that the blade is maybe designed to slip if it contacts a fence post or something solid? This avoids the blade torquing the machine if it attempts to stop spinning.

So what I have is:

Flat surface with washer that spins.
Drive shaft that bade locates over.
Cup that locates over shaft and then is tightened down by left hand nut.

No locating pins/dowels/splines on the blade or the strimmer.

Mine is the same, albeit not on a husqvarna.
I too thought it odd but we are in agreement in thinking that if it catches something solid then it will spin rather than come round and take off your leg.

It worked fine like this to remove a small forest of brambles in the garden.

Tony.

Mine is the same, albeit not on a husqvarna.
I too thought it odd but we are in agreement in thinking that if it catches something solid then it will spin rather than come round and take off your leg.

It worked fine like this to remove a small forest of brambles in the garden.

Tony.

Tony. Thank you.

It is always an issue when working backwards with something that was not your from new. I convinced myself that the slipping was a design feature. Convincing and reality can be a painful lesson. These blades look that they would do some serious damage.

I don't recall any key or other form of positive drive when I've used a cutting disc.
The way I'd view it is that friction is sufficient - not as a safety feature.

I have worked on quite a few strimmers and have never seen a positive drive arrangement for disc cutters or blades, as already mentioned, friction drive seems to be the norm.

Thank you gents for your helpful and encouraging replies (what a great forum this is).

You may know that I bought a brand new Brush Cutter from Screw Fix. This lasted less than 10 minutes before the engine simply died, stalled, cut out, stopped. All attempts at re-starting have failed. The plug was removed = all clean and a nice dry grey colour. It has/had the correct 40/1 fuel mix and no obvious loose wires. Allowed to cool down and spoken to nicely made no difference. Left overnight still not starting.

Screw Fix have offered a full re-fund or replacement.

I have opted to bring my old trustworthy but knackered Husqvarna out of retirement. Using the money from the refund to purchase new parts for the Husqvarna. I stripped it yesterday and greased the gearbox, shaft, drive etc. Gave the carb a good clean, bought a new exhaust guard, blade guard, blade & blade retaining ring. It starts well and runs well. A bit heavy to use even with the Husqvarna harness.

My health issues make continual pulling on a starter chord unwise. Quick starting is a must. My ideal would be an electric starter, but these are bank breakers?

Anyway there is a satisfaction in taking things apart and making them worse than when you started. I also noted that I had zero leftover screws, washers or bits ( they may have fallen into my car pit).

There is an ****nal of blade styles on ebay that would do justice to any Ninja or Gladiator. I went for a tri-spoke affair that is reversible and should easily tackle my nettles and brambles.

Thanks again for the help.

Bruce

I know what you mean about needing an easy start. I love the system on my Stihl chainsaw - a few pulls from cold to start, then one pull from there on. The KombI isn't quite as easy, but not far off.

I've had a Marunaka brush cutter for many years now, bought from The Green Reaper - but no longer listed unfortunately. It's a fantastic machine, I believe a 48cc Kawasaki engine, takes either a blade or a head that gives 2 cutter lines - and I use 4mm square Oregon cutting line. It's amazing what that line cuts! Brambles and nettles stand no chance, and on the odd occasion I've used the blade, 20mm+ stuff stands no chance as well!!

I bought the Titan strimmer from screwfix.
Mine is a very easy starter, hot or cold...
You must have been unlucky.
I have found the Titan range from there to be decent stuff and a good price.

Lyserman said:
I bought the Titan strimmer from screwfix. Mine is a very easy starter, hot or cold... You must have been unlucky. I have found the Titan range from there to be decent stuff and a good price.

Yup. Bought it on recommendation. I suspect a wire fault as it makes no effort to start or fire. Screwfix are very good and their response here was very good. I think I have been unlucky.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom