Stripping...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Skateboard
Not that sort.

Probably a pipe dream...

I've always thought if I still have it - that when my E55 becomes, well, not worth a lot, I'd consider stripping it out to lighten it and make it noisier (maybe a roll cage type stuff) to satisfy a looming midlife crisis.

Are there any pitfalls in doing this in terms of 'the law' and MOT etc.?

Don't think so ...

Member 'JonMad' has a stripped out CLK55 with a cage IIRC.

Insurance companies get itchy at roll cages, but otherwise there is no problem.

If you are doing it go the whole hog and remove or replace everything and make some aerodynamics mods as well for high speed assistance.

Roll cages weigh an awful lot, you probably need to strip out the interior just to compensate for the cage :)

I have to say, bearing in mind that the E55 is quite a heavy car to start with, would it not be possibly better to fit '55 Kompressor running gear into a lighter car instead - if you're looking to such extremes as roll cages etc! :)

Eg - W202 with supercharged V8 :cool:

Cheers all.

I don't think in all seriousness I would go as far as a roll cage (I didn't consider the weight of a roll cage) but just to get a bit more of a raw experience and lose maybe 200Kgs.

I'm not mechanically-minded enough to do transplants - I'd rather buy it 'ready made'.

I once had an M3 Evolution (1997 version) and it sounded like a touring car inside which I kind of miss.

Might be easier to buy a Lancer Evo FQ 320 / 400 having said that... why ruin a piece of beautiful artwork...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom