Stroke

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BEJ

MB Enthusiast
Car
2019 VW Passat GT estate. SLK- now gone 2010 Hyundai I 10.
Last Wednesday, I suffered a small stroke. Nothing to write home about I thought. So I phoned my doctor to tell him what had happened and he immediately rang the hospital to arrange an appointment for me.
On Friday, someone from the hospital rang me to arrange an appointment for today. So off I go, in a cab, to the hospital all nonchalont, only to be told, after a series of tests, that I couldn't drive for four weeks, that I would have to take a series of pills for the rest of my life ( I'm only 81 by the way) and go back for a check up in 10 weeks time.

The thing that gets me is that I can't drive for the next 4 weeks.

I am not in any pain, I haven't got anything wrong with me, except that I may have another stroke, crash the car, kill someone, maim a few people somewhere, and peg out,

Other than that, I'm fine.

Take your daily aspirin, excersise daily (lightly, don't over do it) you'll soon be driving again, and probably celebrate your own century, chill out, good luck.🚴

Reactions: BEJ
Sorry to hear about your stroke Brian, but pleased that it's not too serious and can hopefully be helped with medication.

The no driving bit, whilst seeming a particularly harsh one for a car enthusiast like yourself, is not that bad in reality as there's nowhere particular to go in our current climate and 4 weeks should quickly pass. Apart from 10 minutes warming the car through on Sunday, I've not driven for nearly 4 months though I've been keeping myself isolated due to my health issues.

I too am on tablets (several) for life, been so for around 18 months now and hopefully a long way to go. I must admit that I was a bit concerned when told by the Doctor "Take one of these every day for the rest of your life." and they only gave me 28...:eek:

My friendly Pharmacy now delivers on a monthly basis so no worries.

Good luck with your recovery, all being well we'll all soon be back to normal.

Just follow the advice and take the pills,not many people get to 81 without some health problem,look at it like a warning,of course it is a pain not being able to drive,but in the check up you will have in a few weeks comes through ok you will be back driving,but given the lock downs none of us are driving very far not anywhere to drive too,best of luck.

Last Wednesday, I suffered a small stroke. Nothing to write home about I thought. So I phoned my doctor to tell him what had happened and he immediately rang the hospital to arrange an appointment for me.
On Friday, someone from the hospital rang me to arrange an appointment for today. So off I go, in a cab, to the hospital all nonchalont, only to be told, after a series of tests, that I couldn't drive for four weeks, that I would have to take a series of pills for the rest of my life ( I'm only 81 by the way) and go back for a check up in 10 weeks time.

I am not in any pain, I haven't got anything wrong with me, except that I may have another stroke, crash the car, kill someone, maim a few people somewhere, and peg out,

"Last Wednesday, I suffered a small stroke" he says, nonchalantly....... :rolleyes:

Get well soon!

Yes, rest and get better. Many don't get the warning ... or ignore it.

Think of it as a warning of what might happen if you don't take it easy.

No heavy lifting, either .... get the missus to top up your wine glass. :)

get better soon,4weeks will soon pass,its for your benefit the no driving

I had a ‘small stroke’ a few years ago, I now take Clopidogrel for life, but it keeps the Allopurinol I take for kidney stones company.........

Look up TIA transient ischaemic attack or mini stroke. The problem with driving is that a TIA may result in only a momentary loss of consciousness for a few seconds which you may not even be aware of. Means you might get away with it--- or maybe not depending on circumstances---hence the need for precautions
TIAs: It’s More Dangerous to Do Nothing

Take it easy p, along with the pills, four weeks while we are all in lockdown will be gone before you know it. Hope you are soon back out on the road and feeling good

Relax and take it easy. And thanks for your post, that last paragraph did make me chuckle. 🤭😬

Take it easy fella and rest up.

Glad to hear you got through it.

My MIL suffered a TIA in her mid 50s, assuming it was that for you, probably 10 years ago now but has not had a reoccurrence.

She has always been a smoker though.

I think they put her on the usual blood-thinning Warfarin so I would guess you are on the same.

Well I hope you make a speedy recovery. 👍

My father had a serious stroke in his early 30's. He was bed bound for a while and had to be re-taught how to eat/speak/etc, etc.
He was a plumber and was unable to return to manual work So he re-trained as a nurse and did that until he had to take early retirement (closure of the hospital he worked in & re-organisation of local health service) in his early 60's - he is now 86.
Not long before Covid started he had a TIA (or series of them). Were he had been taking half an asprin a day for years, he now has loads of tablets to take each day.
He is warned that the stroke in his 30's caused brain damage, visible on the recent scan and he could suffer further strokes at any time.
So, follow your doctors advice👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom