Struggling to get 97 octane… options to boost

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Needsnewtyres

Car
2014 SL63
Evening all

I need to feed my SL63 (R231) always use high octane but during the recent challenges everyone is facing I’m struggling to get any 97+ octane, I have no problem with access to 95, does anyone have any experience with octane booster?

Tyrone

For the purposes of bimbling around under these extenuating circumstances, 95 will be ok. The car will be able to adjust for it.

The OP was asking about an Octane booster. The product you linked to specifically states that it doesn't contain an Octane booster.
I had not looked at the link, but the comment came up on the 968uk forum in response to a very similar question to the OP's, and knowing the guy that responded I thought it would be good! Fortunately my SLK is OK on E10 95RON so I've not taken much notice of threads about availability of E5 and 97+RON fuel, if I still had the 968 cab it would be a different matter as without major and expensive modifications E10 was unusable so I'd be hunting E5!

I had same problem too. I ended up buying Redex Octane booster after a short visit to PCS the other day and noticed they also used this soo thought I'd do the same

Holts LOYRADD2501A Petrol Fuel Additive, 500ml​

Cheapest I could find was on Amazon at £8.99 as opposed to eBay or Halfords

HOwever, there are plenty of options to choose from. The one I got will take it from 95 Ron to 96.5 Ron. I've seen some that take it up 2 or 3 points too soo whichever you fancy

Last edited:
I had same problem too. I ended up buying Redex Octane booster after a short visit to PCS the other day and noticed they also used this soo thought I'd do the same

Holts LOYRADD2501A Petrol Fuel Additive, 500ml​

Cheapest I could find was on Amazon at £8.99 as opposed to eBay or Halfords

HOwever, there are plenty of options to choose from. The one I got will take it from 95 Ron to 96.5 Ron. I've seen some that take it up 2 or 3 points too soo whichever you fancy
Perfect, many thanks

The 80-litre tank on the CLS has about 70 litres of 95 RON (all I could get) in it. Does anybody know how much Redex octane booster is needed to bring it up to near the required 98 octane? The published info is "one bottle to a full tank can raise it by up to 1.5 numbers", which is utterly useless. Is that a 35-litre Nissan Pixo tank, or a 90-litre S-class tank? What c**t approved that blurb?

The 80-litre tank on the CLS has about 70 litres of 95 RON (all I could get) in it. Does anybody know how much Redex octane booster is needed to bring it up to near the required 98 octane? The published info is "one bottle to a full tank can raise it by up to 1.5 numbers", which is utterly useless. Is that a 35-litre Nissan Pixo tank, or a 90-litre S-class tank? What c**t approved that blurb?
A highly paid Marketing Executive! - personally I have zero faith in additives, pretty sure that none of them will cause any damage, or do any good - gimmick city

I'm not so sure when it comes to octane boosters, and the equivalent cetane boosters for diesel fuel; the technology is simple, and they do work. It's no different to adding squash to water to flavour it, really.

The 350 requires 98 RON? I'm quite surprised about that

No, not the 350 diesel, but the 63 M157 does.

Last edited:
Millers Oils VSPe Power Plus One Shot (Ethanol / Lead / Octane) Fuel Treatment 250ml

250ml treats 50 litres should give an idea of order of magnitude----often says on the bottle in the small print

redex octane boost SDS
The dosage on the 500 ml Redex bottle is the same useless "one bottle to a full tank can raise it by up to 1.5 numbers" as I've already seen. I added a litre (two bottles) to about 70 litres in the tank, and will fill up with Vpower or Momentum when the opportunity arises. In the meantime, I'm using small throttle openings and low revs.

Evening all

I need to feed my SL63 (R231) always use high octane but during the recent challenges everyone is facing I’m struggling to get any 97+ octane, I have no problem with access to 95, does anyone have any experience with octane booster?

Tyrone
In case you haven't chosen one yet, I bought a bottle of Millers EcoMax treatment:

I haven't had to use it yet, but it looks pretty straightforward with a handy in-line 25ml/50ml measuring tank. Luckily V-Power is back in my area, although a pain in the backside to get to the relevant stations as they are both an 8 mile round trip, whereas my very local Tesco (under normal circumstances) have Momentum 99 - course, we're not in normal circumstances and they've been out of stock for more than 2 weeks, with no hope of getting it back any time soon.....

Hi , I would be careful in putting any third party fuel additives in a modern Mercedes engine.

I topped up the other day with Texaco E10 petrol into my fuel tank filled with E5.

I just drove the car slowly until I could fill up with caffeine tyre petrol.

On my filler caps it states minimum Octane 95 but Requires 99 Octane according to the electronic hand book.

i have one extra, do you need

Sorry to hear you guys are having trouble in getting 98 octane fuel,of course I do not use it but my friend has had no trouble around here to get Morrisons super unleaded which is 97/98 octane we are a bit of a backwater here being at Harwich you need to want to come here,there is no going through unless you want to get wet,I had no bother getting diesel at all in recent times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom