Strut brace

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rawc43

Car
c55AMG
Hi all I've been thinking about strut braces for my w202 read a lot off stuff about them not really doing much the the a w202 body. But Wiechers sport in Germany assured me that there braces are indeed a must for my car specially when on track. Any way I got them and fitted the front one this morning

Attachments

• image-1303875351.jpg
    image-1303875351.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 50
  • image-1938999048.jpg
    image-1938999048.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 52
  • image-195704866.jpg
    image-195704866.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 46
  • image-3933007841.jpg
    image-3933007841.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 51
  • image-467815029.jpg
    image-467815029.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 61
Gonna fit the rear ones tomorrow

Attachments

• image-273286089.jpg
    image-273286089.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 38
  • image-2199738585.jpg
    image-2199738585.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 38
Did the front one make any difference...??

I was wondering if a front brace would reduce scuttle shake on my R129.

It is a reasonably cheap mod to do I guess.

I was wondering if a front brace would reduce scuttle shake on my R129.

It is a reasonably cheap mod to do I guess.

They help...and if you really want "stiff" then consider adding front and rear LCA braces.

Even if you can't find a vehicle specific brace, just measure the length.
On my C124 build I used a Sparco vehicle specific front brace but in the rear I used a Toyota Corolla modified front brace:

Went out lunch time yeah car feels different sharper steering I'll see what happens when I fit the rear

I'm sure you could find a lot of vendors insisting their products are a "must". I prefer independent recommendations... :rolleyes:

Regardless of a specific manufacturer comment, the theory and application of upper and lower strut and LCA braces help greatly in a vehicle that is making power, especially torque.

The Merc has a "unibody" construction and depends on formed sheet metal to limit flexing. All well and good if the vehicle is never pushed to it's limits, but not that great in a high powered vehicle that can cause the structure to flex.

Case in point- my CLK63BS came from the factory with front and rear upper bracing.
If I recall the W124 500E/E500 had a factory lower control arm brace.

Day to day driving not required unless you exhibit flexing as it appears Sp!ke is with his R129.

Ed A.

Regardless of a specific manufacturer comment, the theory and application of upper and lower strut and LCA braces help greatly in a vehicle that is making power, especially torque.

Totally understand, and I wasn't suggesting the braces don't help — just that the source of information may be a teensy bit biased. :D

Just going through the motions of this on the Cab, on the 129 it makes quite a bit of difference apparently, probably more so on the 124.06X chassis...

Last edited:
I've just ordered one so we shall see.

I'd be interested in how you get on. Even more interested if you could cure the infernal rattling of interior trim and hood on my R129.

:confused:

Surely the 202 was never envisaged to have a gert big 4.3 or iron 3.6 lump up front, so flex would be fairly apparent with these "non original" engines?

Hi all I've been thinking about strut braces for my w202 read a lot off stuff about them not really doing much the the a w202 body. But Wiechers sport in Germany assured me that there braces are indeed a must for my car specially when on track. Any way I got them and fitted the front one this morning

how much did this kit cost?
can you post the link where you got them from?

strut braces are they a perfect fit without any modification?
i run koni yellow shox on my car, fitting strut braces wouldn't intrude i hope?

what does the long rubber seal behind the engine on firewall do?
it looks weird with the strut brace in place and the seal fitted on the ends

when you change your filters or fitting a new airmass sensor, do you have to unbolt the strut brace, or is there a little gap where you can slide the airbox out below the strut brace?

Last edited:

Great idea mate, will make a massive improvement especially on track :thumb:

Ahh okay just googled it seems like wonder stuff! I've got some Gummi Pflege I've used on the seals which seems to have helped the squeaks and leaks.

What do you do with the Krytox? Smear/inject it into anywhere that rattles? (Dash plastics, sun visors, roof mechanism etc)

Is it much better than Gummi Pfledge? I see VW specify it for the EOS.

Last edited:
Rear done

Attachments

• image-1544768854.jpg
    image-1544768854.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 19

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom