Stubborn marks on alloys that 'Wonder Wheels' is struggling with

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
OK decided to attack the grime-black (supposed to be silver :eek:) alloys on the Audi today.

Wonder Wheels has done a pretty good job, but one of them still has a fair bit of baked-on grime that is taking ages to shift. I've done that wheel four or five times so far, scrubbing away for hours (literally) with the little brush. It's slowly coming off and the paint underneath looks to be in good order. But ... is there anything more aggressive I can use? I'd have tried a Scotchbrite (plastic scourer) pad if I'd had one, with the Wonder Wheels.

Any other suggestions?

TIA :)

mr musle oven cleaner the foam type just give it 20mins then wash of :)

I'd have tried a Scotchbrite (plastic scourer) pad if I'd had one, with the Wonder Wheels.
Be careful with scotchbrite pads, they will also happily take the paint off with little force! Use only on the grubbiest bits as a last resort.

Possibly some kind of solvent (maybe try on an inconspicuous area first!). I have a large container of 'tar and glue' remover somewhere that used to be good for stuff like this. Failing that, maybe a clay bar or similar.

Wouldn't really want to use a scotchbrite pad on any painted surface, it'll scratch and scour it to bits.

Will

id go with a clay bar :)

Local hand car wash will no doubt shift the baked on stuff, they use some powerful stuff and an industrial strength jet wash in the one I occassionally frequent - likely they'll shift the top coat of lacquer/paint at the same time ..

My wheels come up shiny everytime, they were horrendous before I took them in.. however I'm not too worried about the finish at the moment though as they're due a refurb.

Ade

i used wonder wheels before..but not as impressed after using meguirs..forum recommendations and so i tried it..i was stunned..completely cleaned off all the black which even wonders wheels was not even close of getting off..So try MEGUIRS..

If you cant get hold of industrial 'traffic film remover' from anywhere, like a local garage, truck stop or bus depot. Ive always resorted to engine de-greaser, brake cleaner or petrol.

Bill , if you are going to be in the Teddington area in the next few days , i can give you some ' Truck Wash ' ... we use it on boats , you can jet wash patios with it , it dissolves grease better than Gunk or Jizer , and is generally nasty powerful stuff ....

Wear gloves with it or it'll take the top layer of skin off after 20mins of using it :eek:

Quick update.

Had a go with the Mr Muscle oven cleaner last night (left on for 30 mins), and it did the business. Didn't take everything off, but softened it enough that most came away using water and an old toothbrush. Copious hosing down afterwards to ensure no residue left on the wheels or bolts. The silver paint seemed unaffected.

I notice it says on the can not to get it on oven door seals, so I would avoid contact with tyres (potentially tricky). In my case the car is getting 4 new tyres anyway so I wasn't over-careful.

PS one of the kids said "mummy your car has got new silver wheels instead of the black ones" :D

Green ScotchBrite will scratch the hell out of everything

Purple ScotchBrite is supposedly 'non-scratch' and is in most cases but I wouldn't use on anything that I couldn't test it first

I did buy a 'non scratch' Scotchbrite pad as well, although I didn't have to use it.

Should have mentioned, these wheels have been seriously neglected for many years so not surprising they were in a bit of a state! No sign of any corrosion or bubbling paint - dread to think what a set of 12 year old / 112k mile M-B wheels would have looked like if treated the same way.

Will give them a final clean on Sunday and then apply some alloy wheel seal/protector.

i used wonder wheels before..but not as impressed after using meguirs..forum recommendations and so i tried it..i was stunned..completely cleaned off all the black which even wonders wheels was not even close of getting off..So try MEGUIRS..

I agree also use Meguiars. Have 2 mixing bottles 1 extra strong mix and one with normal mix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom