Stuck Sump Nut

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

design guru

Car
2001 W220 Mercedes S320cdi & 2001 W208 CLK230K (SORN since 2008)
The sump nut on my C240 W202 is stuck! It looks like the last owner attempted to undo it and damaged the outside so now not even a spanner or socket will fit properly.

Any ideas or suggestions?

I want to do an oil change and I have a new sump nut to replace but removing the original is the problem.

Cut a slot and use a big screwdriver. Heating it may help as well.

Just adding to what Ian has just said, the bolt extractors are worth their weight in gold. However you will need to remove the bolt from the extractor socket with a pair of pliers and replace the sump nut with a new one.

I did an oil change on mine yesterday and the sump bolt was silly tight. I would highly recommend the use of a 6 sided socket for doing this as the bolt used is quite soft.

I know this doesn't solve your problem but I have also found the Irwin extractors very good, although not a guaranteed solution.

Set of 10" Stilsons

Took the weld option as I new a guy who helped me out when my wheel locking nut was damaged. He did say that even if I got the bolt extractors I would have probably had a job removing them as the nut was on so tight it took him 3 welds and it final gave way.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom