Stud sheared off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dan1502

Car
SL60 AMG (Now sold)
I am about to change the fuel filter on my R129 but first removed the cover to inspect the filter. Despite spraying the plastic retaining nuts with WD40 first and being gentle, one stud immediately snapped off and sods law it was on the rear where there is only one so the cover probably won't stay in place if put back on.

These are the really weedy studs like the ones that hold the arch liners on. Can they be replaced and if so how and what with? One option would be to araldite a threaded bolt where the old one was but can they be drilled out and replaced? If so is there a specific part for the replacement?

I will probably get my indy to do it anyway as I will need a couple of bits doing anyway but would like to know what's involved as if it's straightforward I might do it myself.

I am about to change the fuel filter on my R129 but first removed the cover to inspect the filter. Despite spraying the plastic retaining nuts with WD40 first and being gentle, one stud immediately snapped off and sods law it was on the rear where there is only one so the cover probably won't stay in place if put back on.

These are the really weedy studs like the ones that hold the arch liners on. Can they be replaced and if so how and what with? One option would be to araldite a threaded bolt where the old one was but can they be drilled out and replaced? If so is there a specific part for the replacement?

I will probably get my indy to do it anyway as I will need a couple of bits doing anyway but would like to know what's involved as if it's straightforward I might do it myself.

Have you had the arch liners off ?

I am poised to remove mine & anticipate sheared studs on W211.

Splitpin

Yes. They were fine. I didn't have any around but will coat them with some waxoyl (or similar) before winter so they stay that way. If those snap off I'm not sure what you'd do.

Arch liners on R129 are quite good, I waxoyled my car over the weekend and the back ones are well designed with no obvious water traps, so behind these the car was perfect....

The studs do break though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom