Stud walls

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
T

tanuie

I want to put a cabinet on my bathroom wall, it is a tiled stud wall so any ideas what to use as fixings to hold it up, I don't want to use what they call Toggles.
Any ideas will be much appreciated.

Shorter normal plugs can work tolerably well on a tiled wall as the tile resists expansion of the plug. You are then relying on the adhesion of the tiles to the wall so it will depend on how heavy the cabinet is.

Stud walls are a problem. The best fixings I've found for plasterboard are the metal screw in type. I also add PVA glue to strengthen the hole. You can't use them once a wall is tiled though

s-l300.jpg

^^ we call them curly wurlies. On a tiled wall they wouldn't work that well as they work by digging into whatever they are being screwed into. I would use a good quality plug.

I want to put a cabinet on my bathroom wall, it is a tiled stud wall so any ideas what to use as fixings to hold it up, I don't want to use what they call Toggles.
Any ideas will be much appreciated.

Assuming tiles are bonded correctly....drill 6.5mm hole and use a brown plug - more than adequate for a bathroom cabinet.

(red plugs will be fine. But since I don't use them, I can't tell you what size drill to use)

If you can locate the stud then fixing in to that is an option. A stud finder won't read through the tiles, but may be able to read from the other side of the wall.

Toggle or butterfly fixings are good provided you don't over-tighten them. Over tightening will damage the back face of the plasterboard and weaken things.

Rawl plug into the tile can also be an option.

(red plugs will be fine. But since I don't use them, I can't tell you what size drill to use)

IIRC red plugs go with a 5.5mm hole. :thumb:

Shorter normal plugs can work tolerably well on a tiled wall as the tile resists expansion of the plug. You are then relying on the adhesion of the tiles to the wall so it will depend on how heavy the cabinet is.

Stud walls are a problem. The best fixings I've found for plasterboard are the metal screw in type. I also add PVA glue to strengthen the hole. You can't use them once a wall is tiled though

s-l300.jpg

Yep, best fixings full stop. Will hold an incredible load on stable plasterboard, only need a screwdriver to fit and can be reused over and over. Much better than those laughable wall destroying monstrosities that were on Dragon's Den.

Think the OP has found possibly the only time you can't use them though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom