STUPID ACCIDENT adice needed ASAP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pi22adough

Car
C63 AMG
hi there guys

i got a c63 and i wrecked the drivers door today.just trying to keep this very short:
reversed the car,put on the hand brake and left the car in R(stupid i know), spoke to someone,the car didn't move an inch with hand brake on. then decided to turn the ignition off without getting into the car and while standing next to the car with my left leg in the car aiming to press the brake i accidentally pressed the accelerator and the car just shot backwards like if the handbrake wasn't even on....so my drivers door jackknifed and now its on its way to merc bodyshop.
after a few hours it just sank in that this should not happen even if you are as STUPID AS ME.
a car should not move into any direction if the hand brake is on.
could not replicate this with 3 other cars with have electric handbrakes.
the car is 3 years old with all services carried out by main dealer.
the question is that can you drive off with MOMENTUM i mean i have skid marks on the road while your handbrake is on an you are not in the car?
i had an m3 e92 and if you opened the door it just went into park instantly
is this a bad design or just my car?
i could have have this happen where some people and crushed someone or myself.
file:///Users/Laci/Downloads/20160516_205737.jpg
file:///Users/Laci/Downloads/20160516_205728.jpg

Sorry to hear that mate, main thing is nobody got hurt but Don't blame the car

That's why there is a P in the gearbox selector - Why would you not engage P when you step out of the car?

Sorry to hear that mate, main thing is nobody got hurt but Don't blame the car

That's why there is a P in the gearbox selector - Why would you not engage P when you step out of the car?

i know what you mean but my mind was somewhere else.
i did leave in gear before while sitting in it eg after a phone call or something but obviously could not take the key out so did realise than to put in P

The handbrake will not stop a 500hp car when the accelerator is pressed. In fact it won't stop any car when accelerator is pressed.

Luckily for you it didn't run you over. My M3 though was the same the moment you opened the door it came out of gear as it was DCT.

Take the opportunity to fit Gullwing doors

The handbrake will not stop a 500hp car when the accelerator is pressed. In fact it won't stop any car when accelerator is pressed.

Luckily for you it didn't run you over. My M3 though was the same the moment you opened the door it came out of gear as it was DCT.

Take the opportunity to fit Gullwing doors

yes no one got hurt.
now its just a matter of paying up i suppose.full door plus front quarter at least .hopefully no frame damage.
i never made a claim before in 14 years of driving.
might be an issue with insurance paying if i dont take to their chosen garage?

Parking brake won't hold my CLS55 even at idle, works fine in Park.

Put it down to operator error, nothing wrong with the car.

what will this cost me thru main dealer bodyshop?
just by guessing a full door with inside panels etc to plus first quarter

what will this cost me thru main dealer bodyshop?
just by guessing a full door with inside panels etc to plus first quarter

Probably £3-4K I would say. As a guide I had to replace a 535d m sport rear bumper at a main dealer BMW once and the whole job was £1800 odd quid.

I do feel for you.
Collected a two Day old Jaguar XF had done a similar thing to you.
Daughters car wouldn't start Jump started it all fine then got back in to moved it.
Also Handbrake on but in reversed yes
Back into onto neighbors Mercedes ML.
Wrecked his car and almost totalled the ML.

Has the 63 got a electronic handbrake or are they still the foot brake on the gearbox tunnel.

I do feel for you.
Collected a two Day old Jaguar XF had done a similar thing to you.
Daughters car wouldn't start Jump started it all fine then got back in to moved it.
Also Handbrake on but in reversed yes
Back into onto neighbors Mercedes ML.
Wrecked his car and almost totalled the ML.

Has the 63 got a electronic handbrake or are they still the foot brake on the gearbox tunnel.

foot brake not electric

If you do a brake stand, the rear discs are being clamped by the pads and calliper under hydraulic pressure, and can still spin with enough power to break traction and burn rubber (even in my car with half the power), and then think that the handbrake doesn't even use the discs, it uses shoes on the inner 'drum' part of the discs, using a stretchy thin metal cable.

I bet you sh*t yourself though. Weren't you hurt?

If you do a brake stand, the rear discs are being clamped by the pads and calliper under hydraulic pressure, and can still spin with enough power to break traction and burn rubber (even in my car with half the power), and then think that the handbrake doesn't even use the discs, it uses shoes on the inner 'drum' part of the discs, using a stretchy thin metal cable.

I bet you sh*t yourself though. Weren't you hurt?

Not hurt..shaken a bit as the cars door just swept me and another person
And now just thinking it could have been much worse.what if someone stands behind the car?

You would have run them over....

Reminds me of when I picked my wife and friends up from a day out Christmas shopping, stopped at the first drop of and wife's friend went to get out of the back of the car and couldn't because the child lock was on, I ask my wife who is sitting in the front would you mind letting your friend out as it is your side, she replies can't as I have shopping bags between my legs, so I jump out the car forgetting it was still in drive and the car drives itself into a parked car which happened to belong to the lady getting out of the cars lodger, well that was a costly mistake, did manage to get the insurance company to get the car repaired at mercedes but it did cost me another two hundred pounds on top of my excess for not using their approved repairer, so worth asking your insurance company

As others said... parking brake is meant to stop the car from rolling forward or backward due to the gravity... it is not designed to be able and resist engine power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom