STUPID ACCIDENT adice needed ASAP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Occasionally in life we must accept the technological features might overtake the evolutionary advance of man.

Glad nobody was seriously hurt.

i still argue that the car should not stay in gear once the door is open

With the handbrake applied in D even a gentle touch on the accelerator will get the car moving let alone full throttle.

For a modern car the merc system seems very antiquated and weak. I always feel that when I park the car up and apply the handbrake it is the fact that it is in P that prevents it from going anywhere as opposed to the handbrake.

It may be an old wives tale, but isn't it bad for the weight of he car to be resting on the gear as opposed to relying on the handbrake to keep it stationary?

The electric handbrake on the newer mercs seem to do a far better job.

pi22adough - i think you were very lucky! don't know how you didn't get dragged away with the car if the door was open with your foot inside.

The weight of the car is held on the parking pawl within the autobox, designed for the job.

Lucky no one was hurt. W212 has this sorted, as soon as you open the door it goes to P. Annoying at start but got used to it now. When parking close to the kerb and don't want to go too close sometimes I open the door to double check and it always goes to P.

Modern society...you do something stupid/wrong and you immediately look for some one to blame.

No car will hold the hand brake versus full power...even a 1000cc car. Suck it up and move on...you could have been very badly injured or killed someone else.

Well stop, because you are starting to sound stupid. You couldn't handle an older car then???? I bet you can't wait for autonomous driving cars so you don't have to take responsibility for anything other than inputting your destination into a computer.

Next you'll be blaming the C63 as being too powerful and that's why you were caught speeding! Shouldn't it have a restrictor so it can't break the speed limit!

Thought the guy just wanted advice on what to do with car now........claim on insurance or pay him/herself?

Claim on insurance........period.

Horrible experience my friend but a timely reminder of the carnage that very occasionally results from operating a car. As others have said no injuries so could have been worse. Insurance claim and move on. Personally as I age( very rapidly) I find myself paying much more attention to, and being more careful in, what I do:crazy:

Not sure why this topic reminded me of something, but...

My daughter was driving her boyfriends couple of day old Evoque. This is quite a narrow road and anyways he rings her, she answers (hands free thingy) and scraped in no uncertain terms the car along the wall.

He says something along the line of...' as long as you are ok girl? don't be upset, the car is just a hunk of metal anyway' !!

spoke to insurance company (churchills).
they are really pushing me to get the car sorted thru their system.
saying that they only gona pay to certain extent etc..
but where they will take it....average joes bodyshop or what?
my gut says to stick with merc even if it will take longer and maybe i will have to reach into my pocket anyway
what you think?

Some would say that the driver shouldn't be able to open his door to get out without selecting Park... but that scenario too is flawed and could prove to be dangerous if involved in an accident. :doh:

We live and learn, so they say and this sounds like an expensive lesson.

86u3jde35

i hope this works and you know people make mistakes and im just one of them...
so you know im here for help not a banter as much as i wish that too

spoke to insurance company (churchills).
they are really pushing me to get the car sorted thru their system.
saying that they only gona pay to certain extent etc..
but where they will take it....average joes bodyshop or what?
my gut says to stick with merc even if it will take longer and maybe i will have to reach into my pocket anyway
what you think?

I think you can insist it goes to MB bodyshop, check your policy docs..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom